Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supplies?

Professional

Default Supplies?

ok ive read the stickies on the hardwiring, but what i need to know is what im going to need in my situation. I already have the cord and can splice it myself. I have two options, i can either splice it into a another wire or run it to a fuse box. What will be easier and secondly what all will i need when i run out to autozone here in a bit? as far as like male connectors and that stuff and after ive gotten that. and if i decide to connect it to another wire, Do i connect the red wire into another red wire and the black wire gets ground, but what do i do with the other wires?

All comments or ideas are welcomed.

Power User

if you decide to spliceit into another wire you will already have all you need except for a few tools (Wire strippers and stuff like that)

if you run it into the fuse box, go buy an Add-a-circuit item that will allow you to do it with ease...........

if you splice it, then it doesnt have to be to another red wire, there are plenty of wires in your car that are hot and switched that arent red, like me I have it on a Blue wire coming out of my deck...........

where in TX are you at????

Professional

Im in Plano TX and yes im probally going to just strip it and splice it with another wire, so it can be any color but black,,, right? i dont want to accidently wire the RD to a wire thats different then 12v. And were can i buy the parts/connectors?

Thanks

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by xXCriticizeXx
    Im in Plano TX and yes im probally going to just strip it and splice it with another wire, so it can be any color but black,,, right? i dont want to accidently wire the RD to a wire thats different then 12v. And were can i buy the parts/connectors?

Thanks

not neccesarilly on the black thing, its all about whats convenient for the manufacturer, but that is a good general rule

the connectors should come with the hardwire kit if youre going the splice way, but extras can be found at any hardware store, auto parts store, Wal mart, places like that (whenever I install anything like this in my car, I personally get all my stuff at Home Depot, good selection, good prices, and their connectors are insulated)

Professional

when i dont have the hardwire kit, just a rj-11 phone cord which ill splice and go from there, if i want to make a mute button switch how would i go about doing that?

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by xXCriticizeXx
    when i dont have the hardwire kit, just a rj-11 phone cord which ill splice and go from there, if i want to make a mute button switch how would i go about doing that?
    a ground pulse on the BLACK wire pin, I believe

*EDIT* No it wasnt the Black the Black was the alret and Power LEDs, there was a pin in there which if you send a ground pulse through it, you get the mute button feature

id just get the kit out of convenience.......... just run up to Car Toys theyll have it if you dont want to waitand order it

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi666
    if you decide to... you will already have all you need except for... strippers and stuff like that

if you run it into the... box, go buy a... item that will allow you to do it with ease...........

:shock:

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi666
    if you decide to... you will already have all you need except for... strippers and stuff like that

if you run it into the... box, go buy a... item that will allow you to do it with ease...........

:shock:

OMFG.............. WTF man............ gotta admit, typical SAS antics.......... funny to say the least

Professional

Ok well after buying all the supplies i found out that trying to hardwire this to a 97 eclipse is well impossible. Circuit City even said for a car like mine it would cost me 100 bucks to do it. All the wires are ALL hidden and ALL have electrical tape, not to mention They all are like a billion different colors. The only thing i can think of now is the add a fuse. And even with that there is no place to ground it because all the spots to be grounded are covered and superglued. Anyone have any suggestions for this extremely difficult situation. err im so frustrated

Radar Fanatic

The add-a-circuit thing works pretty well, I just used on to hardwire my police scanner two days ago. The as far as grounds, it's probably not the reccommended way to do it, but there's usually some sort of screw on the back of your radio that can be used. Typically the whole casing of the radio is grounded.