Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RADAR

Experienced

Default RADAR

Can you pick up a cops radar if you are behind Him and he only is shooting radar in front of him.

Speed Demon

yes, much the same way a RD w/o a rear antenna can pickup radar from behind.... reflection off highway signs, other cars, etc. I don't believe the strength will be as strong as a direct hit but you should still know it's on.

Radar Fanatic

Most definitely. The radar energy that is emitted in front of the officer's patrol car stands a good chance of bouncing off of whatever is in front of him. That returned energy can be picked up by the radar detector. You might not get incredible range and there might even be rare circumstances where you can't pick it up at all, but the vast majority of the time you'll know.

Lead Foot

I picked up a cop car running constant on k-band radar from over a mile behind him once. He had a car in front of him and a car behind him which most likely allowed my RX65 to pick him up from so far away.

Experienced

hi Its me again I have the pro 73 and it seems to work good for me when radar is coming towards me . (I JUST BOUGHT IT NOT TO LONG AGO) . But even when I come up behide the Speed Trailer it will not go off until beside it or pass it . Does this make sence to you all.

Lead Foot

Speed trailer must be in a location that does not have any metallic object for the radar to bounce off of to return to your detector. I bet if you sit behind the sign when a car approaches from the other direction that you will get an alert then.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by whistler
    hi Its me again I have the pro 73 and it seems to work good for me when radar is coming towards me . (I JUST BOUGHT IT NOT TO LONG AGO) . But even when I come up behide the Speed Trailer it will not go off until beside it or pass it . Does this make sence to you all.
    Yes. This just means that there aren't enough objects around to reflect the beam back to you. This is the problem that european motorists have with many of their photo radar systems. The beam is intentionally pointed away from the flow of traffic to make it more difficult to pick up. In many cases like this detection range is reduced to tens of meters even with the best equipment available.

Experienced

Do you think it might be my detector or is this normal

Radar Fanatic

If you still get decent range when you're approaching the trailer from the right direction then I think it's normal.

Experienced

Ya I am getting about .5 Miles in the city. There was a hill before the straight away I picked it up about 50-70 feet before I could see see the trailer And I clocked It at .5 miles I have to mount my radar on the dash in the corner where the inspection sticker is because they are illegal where I live.