Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best radar detector for houston texas and surrounding areas?

first of all money is pretty much no object, but i dont feel like wasting money just for a very slight advantage like 50 feet or a few meters...

and i am looking to get a jammer soon so laser detection is not necessary, but i'm not completely rulng out this feature. also i do not like false alarms i absolutely loathe them.

oh and aesthetics are also important because i want it to look good too, and so is durability.

Yoda of Radar

-Good filtering
    -Amazing range (all the Top 3/4 are give/take on range... and vary under every circumstance).
    -Lowest price of the Top 3/4
    Sounds like an X50 Red to me.

X50+Jammer = Great combination.

With that said you couldnt go wrong with any of the Top 3/4.

There really is NO BEST detector among the Top 3/4...

The X50, RX65, V1, STi... are all amazing.

Speed Demon

They all false to one degree or another so it's just a matter of minimising them if they really bug you (they drive me nuts too).

If money's no problem and you're getting a jammer I'd say get an STi. Easily the best looking, feels like a quality piece of engineering sitting in your hand, maximum pride in ownership Nothing else comes close.

Lead Foot
    Austin, Texas/ Greenville, South Carolina

Houston is really polluted with door openers and the like I would actually say get a V1 and turn Xband off unless you travel much outside of the city as there are a lot of small hillbilly towns that probably still use some X-band around there. and set your K-band automute and drive in little L mode, that way you wont go nuts on full volume K alerts everytime you pass a walmart but you still wont miss any alerts as many Texas troopers and Highway patrol run K-band the first 4 bars will just be muted.

If budget is really tight get an x50 but be warned K-band sensitivity on the x50 is pretty good so it will pick up a lot of the chatter the V1 will pick up, but without the option to mute the initial alert like the V1. Most of the Staters run Stalker Dual Ka units which both the x50 and the V1 dominate so that isnt your problem. Make you decision based on false supression because I usually just turn the Rd off and drive with traffic when I pass through Houston.

Hope that post made sense...

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    -Good filtering
    -Amazing range (all the Top 3/4 are give/take on range... and vary under every circumstance).
    -Lowest price of the Top 3/4
    Sounds like an X50 Red to me.

X50+Jammer = Great combination.

With that said you couldnt go wrong with any of the Top 3/4.

There really is NO BEST detector among the Top 3/4...

The X50, RX65, V1, STi... are all amazing.
    Im going to school in Huntsville and i have x50 rev. 6.1. Last night i got a 1.8 mile warning on instant-on radar!!!! But dont let this fool you, even with the best RD you need to have a rabbit. I found out the hard way. 2 weekends ago i got a $200 gift from the DPS...

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan
    Houston is really polluted with door openers and the like I would actually say get a V1 and turn Xband off unless you travel much outside of the city as there are a lot of small hillbilly towns that probably still use some X-band around there. and set your K-band automute and drive in little L mode, that way you wont go nuts on full volume K alerts everytime you pass a walmart but you still wont miss any alerts as many Texas troopers and Highway patrol run K-band the first 4 bars will just be muted.

If budget is really tight get an x50 but be warned K-band sensitivity on the x50 is pretty good so it will pick up a lot of the chatter the V1 will pick up, but without the option to mute the initial alert like the V1. Most of the Staters run Stalker Dual Ka units which both the x50 and the V1 dominate so that isnt your problem. Make you decision based on false supression because I usually just turn the Rd off and drive with traffic when I pass through Houston.

the last thing he needs is the v1. the k band alerts will drive him nucking futz to where he will disregard them all. and correction, texas troopers/highway patrol (same thing) runs Ka exclusively.

i'd say x50 or rx65. you will see a LOT of Ka, so seriously, for the lack of filtering and Ka band detection, don't get the v1.

Radar Fanatic

do u consider door openers false alarms or like crap detectors and random alerts?

Lead Foot
    Austin, Texas/ Greenville, South Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by ryansandlin
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan

the last thing he needs is the v1. the k band alerts will drive him nucking futz to where he will disregard them all. and correction, texas troopers/highway patrol (same thing) runs Ka exclusively.

i'd say x50 or rx65. you will see a LOT of Ka, so seriously, for the lack of filtering and Ka band detection, don't get the v1.
    Agreed it is much more sensitive to K band, ever heard of K band automute everyone here who owns a V1 and an x50 (myself included) will all agree it is much quieter than the x50 when properly programmed, and still will alert you to the presence of a K band radar in operation which still happens, yes the large majority of texas LEO's use stalker dual Ka, but I have run across many running K, usually city police and the most K I have run into has actually been in Houston. The arrows and counter, combined with properly programmed K-band automute will be far superior to anything. Again, I have driven with an x50 and a V1 through Houston and I stick with the V1 for all my aformentioned reasons.

Lead Foot

i was referring specifically to the texas highway patrol (state troopers, dps, whatever else you may call them) running Ka exclusively. i agree that several Leo's in texas run K band.

Radar Fanatic

RX65 that's just me or the STI but your really just paying more for the stealth with the STI i don't know if there is that much difference in performance.