Good Citizen

Default Radar Double Starting

I remember reading on this forum somewhere about radars double starting when u start the car. I noticed that when i start my car my radar double starts i think. Is this bad for the radar detector? (the radar detector is a cobra and if i upgrade to an x50 do they have a delayed start up to prevent this?)

Radar Fanatic

With a Cobra it won't matter since it doesn't have any self calibration circuits. The X50 does not have a built-in delay, and i'm not aware of any RDs that do.

Radar Fanatic

I notice that my Rx65 does not double start while starting is this just how my car works or is it the RD?

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by carter840
    I notice that my Rx65 does not double start while starting is this just how my car works or is it the RD?
    Its both. It depends on what your car cuts off while starting, and if the rd is on the circuit that is cut while the starter winds. Its also how you wire it, if you wire it on a wire that does not cut out, you might not see a double start. Even if you dont, the voltage can still drop dramatically on the circuit and cause a double start. Lots of ways of it happening, and lots of ways to avoid/work around it. hope that helped. :wink:

Old Timer

Basically, if you connect anything in the 12v power point, and it is able to work while the key is out, then it shouldnt double start. My x50 doesnt. Also, the voltage doesnt drop enough on my car to prompt the low voltage warning. It depends on the car. Usually the newer cars shouldnt have voltage problems.

Professional

With my V1 I wait until about 2-3 minutes in the morning before powering up and about 30 seconds any other time just to be safe. I have gotten accustomed to turning off the V1 before I turn the engine off as well. My thinking is that I want to be safe and not sorry.

Ace

Speed Demon

On my '02 VW Golf hardwired to ignition switched circuit, power to circuit is delayed so no double start. Jammer is currently hooked to cig lighter which is always on, no low voltage or cut off during ignition. Pretty sweet.

On the newer '05 Honda Pilot however, RD is hardwired to always on circuit of map lights - low voltage during ignition. Jammer hooked to ignition switched cig lighter - low voltage during ignition. One would think the newer bigger car wouldn't have this problem. Oh well. I'll find a better circuit to hook up to one day, or hook in a circuit delay.

Radar Fanatic

Probably, but i was informed by our local RD mob that it's very bad to turn you car on with the RD on. Could be just me though and i could be wrong too :?
    RR

Good Citizen

im confused... so how bad is it actually for your radar detector to start your car when the RD is plugged in the cigarette lighter??/

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by alias3r
    im confused... so how bad is it actually for your radar detector to start your car when the RD is plugged in the cigarette lighter??/
    If you're that worried you can just switch it off right before turning off you vehicle, and turning it on after turning on your vehicle. Then again, you do like I do, I take it off the suction cups every time if leave the vehicle, just to be safe of prying eyes. Then, when I plug it in. Sometimes its after Ive started the car, others before. You could do it after to be on the safe side.