Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Pulled over, no ticket, with an RD would I have gotten one?

I got pulled over yesterday, the policeman said I was doing 50 in a 35.

Anyway, I was polite, and he was a local cop, so I talked my way out of it, saying I was traveling with traffic and such, and he let me go.

My question is, if I had had a radar detector, do you think he would have given me ticket? Do police decide beforehand that as long as the person is nice, they don't give a tickets? Do radar detectors really stir them up?

I guess my question is, is there ever an instance where is it bad to have a radar detector (other than getting pulled over where they are illegal)?

Advanced Member

I would think that most cops view a detector as an intent to speed. I think a cop would be much less likely to let someone off if he knew they had a detector...

Jim

Radar Fanatic

That's one great thing about mounting it high with a direct wire cord the cops don't see it.
    I use the visor clip wired to ignition accessory.
    Although one time I had mine on the windshield at dash level was pulled over for a seat belt ticket and the officer talked about the radar detector the hole time. About if and how they work.

Professional

"Do police decide beforehand that as long as the person is nice, they don't give a tickets?"

No. Consider yourself lucky. I was totally polite to the officer that pulled me over for 58 in a 35 and he gave me no break at all. When officers put on their lights, its because they are coming to write you a ticket or write you up for some other violation, unless you have a very good excuse or they were suspicious of you, over all I think it depends on the cop, but from what I have experienced, most will write you tickets. As far as the RD, I would have to say that you more than likely would have got written up. A cop would see that and know you are a speeder. Honestly why else would you carry a RD? I wouldnt.

Experienced

I think the VEIL Guy said that its good to ask the cop to reduce the ticket to a seat belt violation instead of a moving violation. You can also ask the cop to reduce the ticket to a broken head light, or some other bull**** no point offense.

Lead Foot

Oh yea you would have gotten one.

Situation: (not trying to get off topic too much)
    I was driving along doing about 8 over and this la county leo pulled up on my right hand side right in my blind spot, I had the tunes going and my windows up (10% limo tint) and i got a ka alert, i slowed down by applying my breaks and the cop went past me. He slowed down and flashed is lights on. I left my detector up in the window right dead center and he had an attitude and gave me a ticket for the window tint, however never did give me a ticket for speeding even though i was doing 52 in a 45. He had his spotlight on as well so maybe he didn't see the rd i don't know. Anyway thats what happened to me.

Experienced

I guess what I'm thinking is, I've been pulled over twice for speed, once I got a ticket, this recent second time I didn't.

I'd be interested to know how often officers give people breaks and let them know, if it is a rarity I think I will get a RD, if it happens often, I may be better without one.

If RadarRoy or any other police officer, or anyone with a lot of experience getting pulled over could chime in, that would be great.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by fallen8511
    I guess what I'm thinking is, I've been pulled over twice for speed, once I got a ticket, this recent second time I didn't.

I'd be interested to know how often officers give people breaks and let them know, if it is a rarity I think I will get a RD, if it happens often, I may be better without one.

If RadarRoy or any other police officer, or anyone with a lot of experience getting pulled over could chime in, that would be great.
    I've been pulled over my fair share for window tint mostly, and from my experiences and my friend's expereinces have been this: If you're cool with the officer and don't try to mouth off to them or anything like that, they'll usually cut you a break depending on if the last person was an ass to the leo or not. Its like the lottery, you never know if you're going to win big or go home crying.

From my experience and from what friends of the family have been saying (leos) they mostly target the fast looking/modded cars which basically look like they would speed (given) and because they want to look at some of them on the inside. Around here I have yet to see an old clunker get pulled over, even if its a sleeper (modded engine).

Yoda of Radar

Offer him a doughnut.

Good Citizen

Would you have gotten a ticket, if you had a RD??

Hold on...my crystal ball is here somewhere!

Common sense tells most that you are more likely to get a ticket with one. No guarantee, or course.