Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default X-Band in California

So, I'm fairly prepared (mentally) to turn my x-band detection off on my V1 (1.8 w/3.824 software), but I just wanted some further assurance from fellow users in California. It seems (through reading on this site and my limited experience driving from santa barbara to san diego a few times over a month or so) that CHP only uses Ka and Laser (laser sure is a scary thing), and those signs ("your speed is xx, please slow down") use K band.

So, should I pretty much be safe with turning off X?

Also, some of you may be able to give me some insight into a couple other things I've noticed. At one overpass I always receive a x-band alert. I've been on the overpass many times, and I can't find any sources of radar, so my concern is that it is a low-intensity x-band that gets speed averages or something for the highway, and sends them to the CHP. Maybe that's me being paranoid, but maybe not.

Secondly, there is a camera that is mounted directly over the highway a couple miles before my regular exit to go home. It's mounted by itself on a poll, no overpass or anything. I receive no alerts, so I assume it's not using any speed detection, but what other purpose would this camera serve?

Thanks for the suggestions. I've learned a lot from this site.

Advanced Member

Just put the V1 in big "L" and leave it there...leave X-band on

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Professional

I would not feel safe turning off x band in cali or anywhere to tell u the truth. there are x band radar guns in every state but some have more than others but i bet you one cop or a few still use the oldschool x band
    radar in cali. i say its a 50/50 chance its a risk that only u can D!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    Just put the V1 in big "L" and leave it there...leave X-band on
    I have had it set to advanced logic for about a month I'd say. Not to discount your opinion or say it's not appreciated, but I am mostly hoping for fellow californian's opinions on the matter since they will have the most knowledge and experience with the types of radar that will be in use where I live. If I ever drive in other states, I'll certainly change the settings back.

Quote Originally Posted by carlito
    I would not feel safe turning off x band in cali or anywhere to tell u the truth. there are x band radar guns in every state but some have more than others but i bet you one cop or a few still use the oldschool x band
    radar in cali. i say its a 50/50 chance its a risk that only u can D!
    You think CHP might use X-band still? X band isn't even listed in the thread specifying the radar in use per-state, and I don't care about local cops, only CHP. I don't speed on surface streets.

Lead Foot

xband is not used in california, there is too much interference. I live near SB and drive the freeways all the time. K, Ka, Laser = chp, thats it.

101 = K, Ka Around SBC & VC, Hollywood, haven't seen laser
    i-5 = K, Ka, LASER!
    33 = K, Ka, LASER!
    126 = K, Ka, LASER (very few times on laser, mostly k, ka)

Need any more info just ask.

Radar Fanatic

erobinson,
    Up until a few years ago the CHP was not allowed to use radar so when it became acceptable all CHP bought the latest Ka.
    A lot of city cops use K band and X band is gone in CA and NV so turn that sucker off!
    Oregon still uses X band.
    Don't worry about the false X band on that overpass.
    Cameras are everywhere you mean you have only seen one?

Quote Originally Posted by N3T_K1LLA
    xband is not used in california, there is too much interference. I live near SB and drive the freeways all the time. K, Ka, Laser = chp, thats it.

101 = K, Ka Around SBC & VC, Hollywood, haven't seen laser
    i-5 = K, Ka, LASER!
    33 = K, Ka, LASER!
    126 = K, Ka, LASER (very few times on laser, mostly k, ka)

Need any more info just ask.
    Very much appreciated! I have noticed laser on I-5 and 405. In fact, I was following a 911 Turbo when I got a laser alert, I stood on the brakes, he continued at our original speed. Not long afterwards did I see him on the side of the road. I don't know if I caught a reflection or if we were both targeted, but either way, I was saved.

Quote Originally Posted by V1 Dave
    erobinson,
    Up until a few years ago the CHP was not allowed to use radar so when it became acceptable all CHP bought the latest Ka.
    A lot of city cops use K band and X band is gone in CA and NV so turn that sucker off!
    Oregon still uses X band.
    Don't worry about the false X band on that overpass.
    Cameras are everywhere you mean you have only seen one?
    Very interesting that they weren't allowed to use radar.

I will be turning X band off next time I get in the car. I do live in Santa Barbara most of the year, and it is a smaller town, so that's probably why I haven't seen more cameras. Where are they hidden? That is honestly the first one I've seen.

Oh, another question. At some points on the highway (for instance before the L.A. checkpoint driving either I-5 north or south) there are devices on poles above the highway aimed slightly downwards (usually there are a couple of them on a pole) at traffic. I don't get radar alerts, so I'm curious as to the function of the devices. Do they maybe read some sort of signal transmitted by truckers? I don't know if I should be concerned by them or not.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by erobinson
    I do live in Santa Barbara most of the year, and it is a smaller town, so that's probably why I haven't seen more cameras. Where are they hidden? That is honestly the first one I've seen.
    They are everywhere and not hidden usually high on poles around intersections. http://video.dot.ca.gov/

The devices that you see on poles around truck scales are prepass units for truckers if they get a green light inside there cab they don't have to go into scales. Only companies with an excellent track record get to join.
    http://www.prepass.com/
    Stop being so paranoid!
    By the way what happened with you V1 that it went crazy? How was it fixed?