Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police Radar

Professional

Default Police Radar

Not really on the topic of "Radar Detectors" but, I couldnt find another spot to post relating to this question, so here it is. How far in feet or range should I say can police radar high powered get a reading at? What about low powered? And Im talking about a good radar source.

Professional

There are many variables that affect how far away a vehicle can be clocked. Other cars, terrain, weather, vehicle size and construction all change how the radar signal gets to the target, and how much of it returns.

On a flat clear road, with no other cars and trees I wouldn't be surprised at speed readings on trucks a mile away. At that distance, an officer wouldn't be able to visually verify the vehicle was speeding, so in places where a tracking history is required, it's probably not going to be targeted that far out. A good hiding spot or "hole" usually has the target get well within radar and visual range.

For a older high power K band unit, like a K-55 I'd guess .2-.3 of a mile (1000-1600 ft) for an easy, instant reading of any target. .4-.5 of a mile (2100-2600 ft) sometimes for cars, but not on motorcycles, and large trucks and RV's would still be easy at this distance and probably farther.

Ed

Advanced Member

Pretty much everything edweird said....Here's some tests from way back in 1979, they used a Kustom KR-11. The Corvette actually did best. Results are in feet...

Professional

And thats for radar? sheesh some of those cars did awesome, thanks jimbonzzz for the info.

Oh geez!!!

I drive a Nissan Xterra and radar will probably pick me up before I had time to think to slow down. Is a RD even worth having?

snaps

Professional

It only helps out if a cops radar is on. If you get a good one, it should pick up radar before radar can get range. I actually got lucky the other day. I was speeding and I noticed an unmarked cop car go by as i went flying by him, no detection or nothing, im so lucky he didnt flip instant on and pull me over, i woulda been screwed. My experience its all random. Basically if your a speeder the only tickets you will get out of, is if your radar detector goes off while he is using radar on other people ahead or if he is using constant on near by and your detector lets you know, otherwise your screwed by cops that use instant on, who hide and use instant on, and cops who laser. In my personal experience, im speaking the truth and, I honestly dont know if a RD is worth having. I pass so many cops with their radars off that all they have to do is toggle a switch and im done for, besides my city is one of the citys where cops are smart and they know how to catch speeders with RD's. Other than that a radar detector is only good for what i posted, if it picks up from him zapping ahead, or him using constant on, thats really about it. Also in my city a lot of traffic lights set off my K band, and one of these days i may just go through a light thinking its a false K band from the light and a cop is really by the intersection and gets me, who knows. Most the time I pass cops im doing 5 over(city) 5-10 over(highway) and to tell you the truth, I dont think they honestly care about writing a ticket for that unless they are desperate, so what good is my RD for if overall i wont get pulled over? Now think of it as if i was passing a cop doing 15over(city) 25over(highway) and they dont have their Radar on and they see you and toggle that real fast, easy ticket huh? Overall, a RD is better than nothing even though it scares the **** out of you for nothing most the time(false alerts). Here is my advice, if your going to do 5 over in the city and 10 over on the highway, usually cops dont pull you over for doing close to that, they give you leniency, your RD is useless. If you are going to speed more than that, you are most likely going to get pulled over. If your going in to category #2, speeding quite a bit over the legal limit I would say get an RD because it may get you out of a few tickets over time, but chances are you will still be busted and ticketed, just not as much times, hope my own personal experience/advice helps to your decision. Also one last tip to you of what i do when im speeding at a speed i know i will get pulled over for. Lets say im speeding and im going quite fast and my RD DOES NOT go off and i see the cop, i brake immediately and try to slow down as fast as possible whether or not he sees, because if my RD has not went off, that means for the most part, I have not been radared yet and as im braking, every little bit of time that cop wastes to turn instant on, on, my speed is decreasing, which will get me a lower ticket or quite possibly out of being pulled over.

John

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by ZO6Vette
    It only helps out if a cops radar is on. If you get a good one, it should pick up radar before radar can get range. I actually got lucky the other day. I was speeding and I noticed an unmarked cop car go by as i went flying by him, no detection or nothing, im so lucky he didnt flip instant on and pull me over, i woulda been screwed. My experience its all random. Basically if your a speeder the only tickets you will get out of, is if your radar detector goes off while he is using radar on other people ahead or if he is using constant on near by and your detector lets you know, otherwise your screwed by cops that use instant on, who hide and use instant on, and cops who laser. In my personal experience, im speaking the truth and, I honestly dont know if a RD is worth having. I pass so many cops with their radars off that all they have to do is toggle a switch and im done for, besides my city is one of the citys where cops are smart and they know how to catch speeders with RD's. Other than that a radar detector is only good for what i posted, if it picks up from him zapping ahead, or him using constant on, thats really about it. Also in my city a lot of traffic lights set off my K band, and one of these days i may just go through a light thinking its a false K band from the light and a cop is really by the intersection and gets me, who knows. Most the time I pass cops im doing 5 over(city) 5-10 over(highway) and to tell you the truth, I dont think they honestly care about writing a ticket for that unless they are desperate, so what good is my RD for if overall i wont get pulled over? Now think of it as if i was passing a cop doing 15over(city) 25over(highway) and they dont have their Radar on and they see you and toggle that real fast, easy ticket huh? Overall, a RD is better than nothing even though it scares the *BEEP* out of you for nothing most the time(false alerts). Here is my advice, if your going to do 5 over in the city and 10 over on the highway, usually cops dont pull you over for doing close to that, they give you leniency, your RD is useless. If you are going to speed more than that, you are most likely going to get pulled over. If your going in to category #2, speeding quite a bit over the legal limit I would say get an RD because it may get you out of a few tickets over time, but chances are you will still be busted and ticketed, just not as much times, hope my own personal experience/advice helps to your decision. Also one last tip to you of what i do when im speeding at a speed i know i will get pulled over for. Lets say im speeding and im going quite fast and my RD DOES NOT go off and i see the cop, i brake immediately and try to slow down as fast as possible whether or not he sees, because if my RD has not went off, that means for the most part, I have not been radared yet and as im braking, every little bit of time that cop wastes to turn instant on, on, my speed is decreasing, which will get me a lower ticket or quite possibly out of being pulled over.

John
    This is good advice, man! I am actually considering if an RD is really worth my hard-earned cash or not, and have not decided yet. But my situation and driving habits appear to be similar to yours.

I live in Charlotte, NC. But I drive down towards Greenville/Spartanburg, SC frequently and the cops seem to be pretty smart, even though they are no where near as blood-thirsty as the ones I hear about in Ohio and Virginia (where are RD's are illegal anyways).

Where do you live?

thanks,
    mkirt007

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Pretty much everything edweird said....Here's some tests from way back in 1979, they used a Kustom KR-11. The Corvette actually did best. Results are in feet...

Vette, Civic, Rabbit, Ford Semi 40 foot trailer?!?!

That just kind of made me laugh. That's some pretty f-ing long range on one of those rigs.

-Bill

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by mkirt007
    Quote Originally Posted by ZO6Vette
    It only helps out if a cops radar is on. If you get a good one, it should pick up radar before radar can get range. I actually got lucky the other day. I was speeding and I noticed an unmarked cop car go by as i went flying by him, no detection or nothing, im so lucky he didnt flip instant on and pull me over, i woulda been screwed. My experience its all random. Basically if your a speeder the only tickets you will get out of, is if your radar detector goes off while he is using radar on other people ahead or if he is using constant on near by and your detector lets you know, otherwise your screwed by cops that use instant on, who hide and use instant on, and cops who laser. In my personal experience, im speaking the truth and, I honestly dont know if a RD is worth having. I pass so many cops with their radars off that all they have to do is toggle a switch and im done for, besides my city is one of the citys where cops are smart and they know how to catch speeders with RD's. Other than that a radar detector is only good for what i posted, if it picks up from him zapping ahead, or him using constant on, thats really about it. Also in my city a lot of traffic lights set off my K band, and one of these days i may just go through a light thinking its a false K band from the light and a cop is really by the intersection and gets me, who knows. Most the time I pass cops im doing 5 over(city) 5-10 over(highway) and to tell you the truth, I dont think they honestly care about writing a ticket for that unless they are desperate, so what good is my RD for if overall i wont get pulled over? Now think of it as if i was passing a cop doing 15over(city) 25over(highway) and they dont have their Radar on and they see you and toggle that real fast, easy ticket huh? Overall, a RD is better than nothing even though it scares the *BEEP* out of you for nothing most the time(false alerts). Here is my advice, if your going to do 5 over in the city and 10 over on the highway, usually cops dont pull you over for doing close to that, they give you leniency, your RD is useless. If you are going to speed more than that, you are most likely going to get pulled over. If your going in to category #2, speeding quite a bit over the legal limit I would say get an RD because it may get you out of a few tickets over time, but chances are you will still be busted and ticketed, just not as much times, hope my own personal experience/advice helps to your decision. Also one last tip to you of what i do when im speeding at a speed i know i will get pulled over for. Lets say im speeding and im going quite fast and my RD DOES NOT go off and i see the cop, i brake immediately and try to slow down as fast as possible whether or not he sees, because if my RD has not went off, that means for the most part, I have not been radared yet and as im braking, every little bit of time that cop wastes to turn instant on, on, my speed is decreasing, which will get me a lower ticket or quite possibly out of being pulled over.

John
    This is good advice, man! I am actually considering if an RD is really worth my hard-earned cash or not, and have not decided yet. But my situation and driving habits appear to be similar to yours.

I live in Charlotte, NC. But I drive down towards Greenville/Spartanburg, SC frequently and the cops seem to be pretty smart, even though they are no where near as blood-thirsty as the ones I hear about in Ohio and Virginia (where are RD's are illegal anyways).

Where do you live?

thanks,
    mkirt007
    I see you're points here, but if you speed get a RD. In the city K flases can suck, but city driving by nature is usually slower, so there is less of a chance of a ticket. Now, on the highway a RD can really save your ass. Even picking up a few blips of K or Ka on the highway will make you slow down, and then a mile up the road you'll see the cop.

Laser is scarry, but get a can on Veil. If you are getting a lot of laser invest in a jammer.

True it's not 100% protection from everything, but with a good RD, can on Veil, and good driving strategies you can be pretty confident.

Oh, and if a RD saves you ONCE you've saved/broken even. Trust me it won't take long to pay for itself.

Professional

Pretty much anything with a large frontal area, and boxy with 90 degree angles (like a semi, motorhome, van, box truck, firetruck) is going to reflect a strong signal back from farther away.

If you listen to the doppler audio while running radar, not only do you get info on speed depending on the pitch of the tone, but you can tell how strong it is based on the volume and how clean it sounds. If the pitch is rising, or falling slowly you can tell whether the target is approaching or departing.

Without looking up, up could probably guess what kind of traffic was going by. Car, car, car, truck!

Ed