38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Create Trash Can Area

25 65.79%
  • Just Have ADMIN Delete Trash Messages

13 34.21%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator

Default How to Take Out The Trash

Let me open this up for debate and a poll on the board and get your comments.

The Forum policy from the beginning was to delete any objectable posts/flames by any of our admins.

Now a few posters that have gotten their messages deleted are pissed and want to know the reasons their posting was deleted.

So I asked ADMINS to copy the deleted posts to me after they were deleted, so at least I could offer some answer.

One user suggested making a forum called "Trash Can". Instead of the post being deleted it would go into the trash can for everyone to see. If a user got three messages trashed, he could get a suspension??

Good idea, bad idea??
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Professional

I say create and use the Trashcan area.

Either edit the message with a comment as to why it was moved, or have a PM sent to the poster with a reason.

Just my 2 centavos.

Ed

Radar Fanatic

Well, I haven't found any reason to believe that any admin has deleted a post that didn't violate board policies or, at least, basic common sense. And I read this board A LOT so I've seen many of these posts prior to deletion. (I can only think of one exception, but it was completely debatable and the admin was acting as he felt was right.) So in principle the admins should be able to just delete and forget. However, there will always be people who question the validity of such actions. For that reason, I think that it would benefit the integrity of the board to have a "trash can" area. This way the whole process is transparent and everybody is on the same page.

The only problem is what to do with things like links to outside vendors. Placing them in a trash can would totally defeat the purpose of deleting them. There is also the situation of "liability posts" which contain information or advice that could result in death/injury/financial loss/etc. (I've only seen one like this.) Those should go away entirely.

So here's my vote:
    -Creat trash can for the majority of questionable posts
    -Exclude vendor plugs/links as well as "liability posts." The admins could archive those in a non-public area.

Lead Foot

I feel the rules to this board are very clear and if people violate them their post should be deleted. If the user wants an explanation for why, they can always ask an admin for it. If it was deleted in the first place, why would we want it to be anywhere else, such as the Trash Can? Just get rid of it.

This really shouldn't be an issue. just follow the rules people, it's not that hard!

Professional

simply edit the post and have the admin sign off on it and define what was the reason for editing the post.

for example:

Post edited by Radar Roy for using foul language and abusive manner 6/18 4:46pm

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brent_Vino
    simply edit the post and have the admin sign off on it and define what was the reason for editing the post.

for example:

I'm concerned that a new admin on the forum may delete my posts because he/she has "bad blood" with me, regardless if if my post is factual or not. I think a trash can is a good idea, but who is to say an admin won't just delete the post and not copy it? You don't have checks and balances with this program and you can't track an admin on what he/she deletes. Brent is concerned that Seth is always deleting his posts. Seth has admitted to editing some of them and in other cases Seth has denied it. The trash can won't fix the problem. There needs to be some way you can track admins when they edit or delete a post, like some sort of log that can't be manipulated. If insantity can program a feature in the php program to log all admin edits that would be a good solution.

Banned

I could have sworn Brent's avatar had a picture of frank with his right hand over his left hand, not his left hand over his right. Sethy, did you edit Brents avatar?

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Brent_Vino

for example:

that should do it

Radar Fanatic

I like Chris idea but if it cannot be implemented then Brent's idea is best as I suggested that yesterday but maybe send a copy of what is being deleted to Roy first.

Lead Foot

people are so addicted to this forum they even want to see deleted post 8)