Thread: Benz KA band

Good Citizen

Default Benz KA band

I was driving to lunch on 1 of our local limited access highways in my area, can't call it an interstate since it is a state highway, and a late model benz passed me and my STi gave me a KA alert. It acuall started when he was about 100' behind me. It continued until he was about 200' a head of me. I thought it might be something on the overpass I had just gone under but I caught up to him on another highway and passed him and again the KA alert went off.

Is this somekind of alert system to alrt the driver that somebody is driving to close ( )? Just was wondering.

Rich Dunklee
    NR2D

Good Citizen

did you see a radar detector on his windsheild?
    If so cobra rd's are netorious for setting off other detectors.

Radar Fanatic

I would guess cobra. It has happened to me aswell.

Good Citizen

My money is on cruise control with collision avoidance system...

Definitely a Cobra RD.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Force5
    My money is on cruise control with collision avoidance system...
    BMW 7-Series do this too from what Ive read.

These newer high end cars have parking sensors in the front and back bumpers dont know if that could set it off, or even with these new crusie control systems I wouldnt be surprised.

Good Citizen

These are not parking sensor but either laser or radar sensor that reduce speed if they detect a car in too close range.
    The system for Mercedes is called Distronic Plus and there has been a bulletin out by a manufacturer I cannot mention here that indicates problems. The system operates on 24.125 GHz according to said bulletin and causes a continuous K-Band alert. The range is 80 degrees in the front of the vehicle for 100' and effective forward range of about 500'.

Good Citizen

Thanks for the resposes. I could not see a RD on the dash or on the windshield. I like the anti-collision idea. This was an '05 or an '06 highend model but I don't remember the exact model number.

Very interesting observation.

Rich Dunklee
    NR2D

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Force5
    These are not parking sensor but either laser or radar sensor that reduce speed if they detect a car in too close range.
    The system for Mercedes is called Distronic Plus and there has been a bulletin out by a manufacturer I cannot mention here that indicates problems. The system operates on 24.125 GHz according to said bulletin and causes a continuous K-Band alert. The range is 80 degrees in the front of the vehicle for 100' and effective forward range of about 500'.

I have also read that this system works on the K band (24 ghz) and not on the Ka band (34 ghz).

Good Citizen

You have a point Harold. I must have missed that detail, however, the detector could have malfunctioned and misidentified K-Band as Ka-Band. Of course now that you brought up this inconsistency I am not 100% sure anymore Distronic Plus was the culprit.

Maybe somebody with a spectrum analyzer can test for any other emitted frequencies on a Mercedes vehicle and options available. It could also be aftermarket equipment, we don't know at this point.

It would probably be interesting to compile a list of frequencies emitted by radar detectors as well as other equipment that can set off falses.