Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default What radar bands are being used in "your" area?

I've hunted all around the board. Great insight however, I couldn't find what I was looking for. I was wondering if anyone knew of a website or other medium with the listings of the radar bands being used in the city/county/state that one lives in. I live in the state of New Jersey and I'm constantly zapped by radar guns but, I haven't kept track of what bands I'm being hit with, at the different locations. I know I've been hit with X-Band plenty of times (by NJ Troopers) and, very rarely with Laser (by NJ Troopers - North East area) however I haven't kept track of "what" areas. Of course, I have been struck by other bands but, I'm trying to figure out if there is any band that is "not" used like in other luckier states.

Old Timer

In Springboro/Warren County/Ohio I have been hit with X band, K band, in the city, and on the highway Laser, and Ka. I swear they got it all... Havn't been hit by POP yet, but I'm sure its only a matter of time

Radar Fanatic

Sethy,

How do you know that you have not been hit with a POP blast as of yet because I have heard that if you turn on POP with your unit you get a false POP full alert every few minutes? Is that true?

Old Timer

I never get false pops every few minutes, but yea I do get falses every once in a while, maybe 4 times since I've had it. & yes, you have to turn on pop when you get it, and I turned pop on

Lead Foot

New Jersey and Ohio are the only two states still buying X band radar. X band is still in use in several other states too, so I wouldn't turn it off on your detector just yet.

Administrator

Default Federal Park

Came across some X band this summer too at Mount Rushmore National Park. Guess some of the Park Police still have some older guns
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Old Timer

I really dont get it. Why are the cops not using X anymore? I would think if you live in a big city, they would want to use X so radar detectors arent as responsive... What advantages are there from switching from X?

Lead Foot

Sethy

The premise was that in the beginning there were so many X-band RDs picking up police that they wanted technology to put them ahead of us. So when K/KA came along they went with it. To most LE Offices, X-band was old and out-dated so they began phasing them out. $$$ was another factor. The same way things flowed with LIDAR. Thought was it would make RADAR obsolete, but weather and other factors showed LIDAR could be flawed. Remember, all this RADAR/LIDAR/SPECTRE technology came from military applications and downgraded to smaller compact units for civilian LE.

Old Timer

So why would they be getting rid of their detectors?

Lead Foot

If you are asking why are they getting rid of their X-band radar guns, it's simple...#1 - $$$$, #2 - modernization. Some states are slow to change, like NJ, and others buy what they can afford. I'm sure the PDs are getting some type of credit back from Radar gun makers for turning in old X-bands and they (makers) are modding/upgrading with new technology.