Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Professional

Default LASER = RADAR DETECTOR A WASTE?

So after reading these forums quite a lot. I've seen a few "I got a laser alert and quickly slowed down.. saved me from a ticket."

Well I do not understand. Once a laser is on you.. you're toast.. no?

A bit confused about that. Can you pick it up if it's remotely around you?

Oh, and just to add in. I was at a car show at Baltimore looking at the wonderful bugatti, porshe's, bimmers and what not and I spot a state trooper. So wanting to spark up some convo about his cruiser next to him I asked him about what kind of bands does he know the one i saw sticking out his car through out. I got a very rude respose of "It has them all". Very nicely I asked if he ran laser, and POP. He said yes to laser and goes "And POP?! What's that?" This guy was so sarcastic and rude it was unbeliveable. Anyway he went on to tell me.. without me even mentioning a RD, "Basically, once it goes off, we already got you, its worthless." LORD I wanted to teach this guy something, (not that i know a whole lot) but man oh man the prejudice against teenagers!!! (Though it's basically true) Anway.. moral of this wonderful story. I never understood why people have such a hatred twords LEO's and lately I seem to be sliding in the same direction, then I remeber what a saint radar Roy is, and some others on this site. So, a quick thanks.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: LASER = RADAR DETECTOR A WASTE?

Quote Originally Posted by maskellxx
    So after reading these forums quite a lot. I've seen a few "I got a laser alert and quickly slowed down.. saved me from a ticket."

Oh, and just to add in. I was at a car show at Baltimore looking at the wonderful bugatti, porshe's, bimmers and what not and I spot a state trooper. So wanting to spark up some convo about his cruiser next to him I asked him about what kind of bands does he know the one i saw sticking out his car through out. I got a very rude respose of "It has them all". Very nicely I asked if he ran laser, and POP. He said yes to laser and goes "And POP?! What's that?" This guy was so sarcastic and rude it was unbeliveable. Anyway he went on to tell me.. without me even mentioning a RD, "Basically, once it goes off, we already got you, its worthless." LORD I wanted to teach this guy something, (not that i know a whole lot) but man oh man the prejudice against teenagers!!! (Though it's basically true) Anway.. moral of this wonderful story. I never understood why people have such a hatred twords LEO's and lately I seem to be sliding in the same direction, then I remeber what a saint radar Roy is, and some others on this site. So, a quick thanks.
    Yea some LEOs are aholes some are not. Generalizing usually doesn't work out too well.

Generally yes, if you are directly shot with laser and your detector goes off , your cooked unless your very lucky and maybe a newb LEO was shooting you and didn't get a reading.

If a car in front of you gets shot with laser and your radar picks up scatter (most likely on a V1) then you can be saved.

Also if you only have an RD and VEIL (coating of stuff applied to your headlights and plate to reduce reflectivity) You MAY have a chance of being saved if the LEO doesn't get a punchthrough at first (a reading)

The BEST combination of laser protection would be a laser jammer and VEIL... almost always you can be saved from laser!!

Professional

Cant afford Laser jammer, anytime soon anway.. the veil may be a possiblility soon.

Thanks for your response!!

Radar Fanatic

And the LEO you talked to that said "Basically, once it goes off, we already got you, its worthless."... he probably means INSTANT ON radar... and he is right. This is the most feared form of speed measurement from RD users. If set up with a real good trap, it is DEADLY and this is where the best RDs come in. If there is a car in front of you instant on'd, your RD will pick it up, possibly low signal, but you must heed warning, and you might be saved.

Thats why people on here say ALWAYS FOLLOW A RABBIT!!

Let say its night, your on a highway, its late in the morning hours, you are cruising way above PSL, no other cars on road, state trooper in median, lights off and your lights don't reflect off his cruise. BAM he pulls the switch INSTANT ON no matter what RD you have your toooast. Unless some other stray car heading the opposite direction sees the LEO and flashes his lights at you as a good samaritan!!

So for IO to work for the LEO, he must see you FIRST. If you see him first that you can be saved. Your eyes can save you so many times believe it or not!

Your eyes wont save you, if its a greatly positioned trap, where you have no chance of seeing LEO before he sees you.

Good Citizen

yes but at night or REALLY early mornings, you won't be able to catch him in time in the country where some highways are. Best bet during those times is just to slow it down to barely over.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Event Horizon

So for IO to work for the LEO, he must see you FIRST. If you see him first that you can be saved. Your eyes can save you so many times believe it or not!

Your eyes wont save you, if its a greatly positioned trap, where you have no chance of seeing LEO before he sees you.

Yes I do follow the rabbits, especially in the fast lane. Always scared Ill be the baby rabbit to get picked out.

Curious.. going down a hill. Its a back road straight away. blind spot at the bottom. He would most likely be using constant on, since he cant tell when im coming, therefore it most likely wouldn't be laser.. correct?

Experienced

Nice, another teenager. I don't think i've ever been on a board before with someone the same age as me. always like 20 and up.

are laser jammers legals in most states besides washington dc and minnesota and w.e else there is? I don't see why they aren't illegal is there a specific reason?

Professional

This will tell you exactly where they are and arent legal. The reasons. I don't know!

http://www.guysoflidar.com/usa-laser-jammer-laws.html

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Event Horizon

Yes I do follow the rabbits, especially in the fast lane. Always scared Ill be the baby rabbit to get picked out.

Curious.. going down a hill. Its a back road straight away. blind spot at the bottom. He would most likely be using constant on, since he cant tell when im coming, therefore it most likely wouldn't be laser.. correct?
    WOW a lot of new kids... anyway who know what leo is using. Best way to know is to find out what type of equitment they have. If they have both laser and radar they are most likely going to be running laser from a stopped speed trap. Most LEOs that know what they are doing don't run constant on. IN ny i find it very rare for a State trooper to be running in constant on. Almost always laser or IO.

Professional

WOW a lot of new kids... anyway who know what leo is using. Best way to know is to find out what type of equitment they have. If they have both laser and radar they are most likely going to be running laser from a stopped speed trap. Most LEOs that know what they are doing don't run constant on. IN ny i find it very rare for a State trooper to be running in constant on. Almost always laser or IO.
    \

Do you still get decent saves with your rx?