Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Timer

Default Getting out of a small speeding ticket...

I was wondering what you think about this Roy. A while back, I was stopped for going 10 over the speed limit. He wrote me a ticket on the fact he said he saw my brake lights go on as soon as I passed him.

What do you think would happen if you know youve been tagged, but you pull the ebrake so the brake lights wont come on. Then maybe release it at a few over the speed limit. Do you think you could argue that his radar would be "wrong" ??

Radar Fanatic

Careful you don't lock up the rear brakes as that would be very embarrassing. The E Brake does not stop you very fast as about 75% of your stopping power is in the front. If I were in the same situation I would brake until he can see my brake lights then let off. Ultimately it would be nice to have one toggle switch for rear running lights and one toggle switch for brake lights. But then again if you are going to these extremes may be best to just slow down.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by V1 Dave
    Careful you don't lock up the rear brakes as that would be very embarrassing. The E Brake does not stop you very fast as about 75% of your stopping power is in the front. If I were in the same situation I would brake until he can see my brake lights then let off. Ultimately it would be nice to have one toggle switch for rear running lights and one toggle switch for brake lights. But then again if you are going to these extremes may be best to just slow down.
    I actually have a friend that has a switch to turn off his break lights like that. It was on the truck when he got it (used).

Old Timer

hahahah thats awsome!

Lead Foot

Sethy, are you driving a stick or auto? If a stick, down-shift, if auto do the same, second gear with reduce your speed at a tremendous rate and no brake lights. It takes some getting used to in order to react quick enough. But that goes hand in hand with being alert. You can't let your guard down.

I use cruise control all the time and have gotten a technique to go from 80mhp to 60 within 3 secs. If I have that much distance in early warning, I can surely beat a speed trap.

Old Timer

Thats a good tip, im driving at auto though- but my next car will be stick

Lead Foot

You say you're driving a Bonneville? Gearshift on the steering column? It's a lot tougher to do. Automatics with gearshift on the console is much easier, just like a 5spd, but without the clutch.

Just a bit on car specs - Maxima has a button on the gearshift for overdrive on or off. Pressing this button and setting overdrive off is equivelent to down-shifting from 5th to 4th.

Old Timer

I geuss I could throw it into 2nd gear, but if im going above 50 that will probibally throw rods...

Lead Foot

Damn, what year is your Bonneville? Downshifting gears causes the transmission to slow down and the engine to kick into higher rpm, but unless you have engine troubles, it shouldn't have that severe an effect.

Administrator

Default Officer Reaction

Hard to speak for all the different officers and personalities, but I would get real pissed off if someone passed and speeding while running radar and they didn’t hit their brake lights to slow down. If their was no reaction, figured that they needed a ticket to wake them up….
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer