Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Old Timer

Default Keeping a low profile

Looking for tips at concealing a radar detector. I am tired of cops giving me glances at a red light when they see my RD. I want to keep a low profile... Any tips?

Radar Fanatic

Roy sells a direct wire smartcord at http://radarbusters.com/products/acc...rt/default.asp
    along with some other accessories. Anyone with a little knowledge of automotive electronics could wire it up in a matter of a couple of minutes, or if you were so inclined, you could put a lighter plug on the end of it. then just route it around however you want.

People will flog me for this, but if you want to hide your detector, mount it up high above the mirror. if you've got a tint band make sure the suction cups are behind that as those are what makes it really stand out as a detector. get it placed with the lense right below the band. So many cars come with various wires and sensor/antenna boxes by the mirror this doesn't even really stand out any more.

Be warned, you may not get any warning when you're target directly with laser, but unless you have no front plate and a dark colored vehicle and/or have treated it with veil, this is of little concern in the real world. I, for example, am driving a bright silver car with a front plate and no veil, so I just understand that i'm toast with laser from the start. Luckilly only seen a laser in use twice here, both were in town, so I wasn't speeding.

Also, again, expecting this to start a flamewar, but have a look at this link. It really makes sense to me, http://www.valentine1.com/laserhowto/

Old Timer

No flame war :shock: I was thinking about buying the blinder extreme... I have a bright red bonniville.... what are my chances for laser?

Radar Fanatic

hmm, it seems we're both browsing the board at the same time. That was about a 60 second reply... :-)

You might have a chance for two hits with a red car, it's more luck than anything. If you're getting the blinder though, I wouldn't worry about laser at all. It will more than take care of you. And have a look at the link. I know Roy doesn't agree with me on that one, but i'd rather have a chance of picking up the car in front of me getting tagged with laser than a ticket notifier for myself. By the time the beam's on you, most of the time, it's too late without some other countermeasure. According to MV, the best chances of accomplishing an early warning are obtained by mounting high. It makes sense to me, but there are plenty of other views out there. Not saying mine's right, but I feel safest with it mounted to look through the windows ahead of me.

Good Citizen

My detector is clipped on the headliner right above the mirror. You can't see it unless you stick you head inside. You can't see it from outside either. It detected Lidar when I got hit too. Here's a pic: http://www.geocities.com/joop1987/interior.jpg

Some BMW guys use a case to hide theirs. http://www.m3forum.net/gallery/data/...h_v1_1-med.jpg

Old Timer

lol, i like that one... sticking it in a styrafoam (I butchered that one) box!

Lead Foot

joop1987, I see your windshield doesn't have the factory tint at the top so your RD will get very good reception. My Max does, not to mention there isn't much room to mount any kind of RD other than the Whistler I have somewhere in the garage.

The styro-box (if it is styro) is a good idea. Does this CO only offer it for V1 or do they offer it for what you have? Any idea on the going price?

Sethy, does your windshield have the factory tint or have you put a tint strip on it? Something to consider on reception.

Good Citizen

My Mustang has factory paint dots on the top of the windshield; if you look close, you can see a horse. I know that it affects Lidar detection, but it still does detect. I don't want my detector stolen, so it's staying there.

The BMW guys say the styro box's cover is the OEM piece of a M3's motion detector on the roof. I don't own a BMW M3, so I don't know the part #. You can always get some styro, carve out the your detectors hole, and add the cover.
    Here's another pic of the styro box. http://www.m3forum.net/gallery/data/...ck_m3_dash.jpg

Old Timer

lol, I think the person behind you would know you have one, ebcause a big red light will light up toward your rearview mirror

Lead Foot

Yeah, I see the slight outline. It doesn't seem it would obscure your reception too much, being it's not a full plastic strip. One thing I have noticed with this Cobra 9400 it still picks up K/KA alerts when I put it on the pasgr seat. Have to take it off the dash because it's so big and visible. Being around the PENT., I pick up a KA alert/K/ and some X falses.