Lead Foot

Default March GOL tests - The Laser side

I noticed Radar Roy sells a laser Tester for around $29.

Knowing a lot of us do not own a Lidar/Laser gun, would it be possible to run a few distance checks with Radar Roy's unit on some laser detectors?

Might be interesting, or informative, to some who would buy one to check their own detector against what the GOL tests show. Laser range would no doubt be less as I suspect it is LED rather than diode based, but a comparison could be extrapolated from it.

Granted, test results can vary due to a multitude of things, but it would at least show someone how their own unit could or should perform without buying a gun.

:?:

Advanced Member

There was already the most comprehensive laser detector range test dune by 'The VEIL Guy'
    http://www.laserveil.com/laser/detectors/performance/
    In the test he tested the detectors versus each laser gun he had in his possesion.....The clear winner of this test was the V1

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Power User

^^ sure its clear in a test, but in a real world situation, I count on past experience, hell, I dont even count on any RD for Laser.......... its just one test, it can easily be discounted on account of manufactring variance when another unit is used

Advanced Member

Yes, you can use the laser tester to get a good idea about how different detectors compare for laser sensitivity. Although it uses LEDs and isn't the same as a laser gun, you'll be able to see some differences in range between the detectors. In my experience, the V1 can pick it up further away than the the others, followed by the X50. This is consistent with what we know from other tests.

However, you won't be able to compare to any GOL tests. GOL has never done a laser detection test in the past, and we don't plan on doing one in our upcoming test due to time constraints.

Power User

I still think a LIDAR test on RDs is a waste of your precious time anyways

Founder of Stealthvation

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Yes, you can use the laser tester to get a good idea about how different detectors compare for laser sensitivity. Although it uses LEDs and isn't the same as a laser gun, you'll be able to see some differences in range between the detectors. In my experience, the V1 can pick it up further away than the the others, followed by the X50. This is consistent with what we know from other tests.

However, you won't be able to compare to any GOL tests. GOL has never done a laser detection test in the past, and we don't plan on doing one in our upcoming test due to time constraints.
    There is no reason to do one when the Veil Guy done one that was absolutely STELLAR. No reason to mess with perfection
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Good Citizen

Yes, you can use the laser tester to get a good idea about how different detectors compare for laser sensitivity...
    Hey Jim, I just bought the laser tester from Roy's site, and I was wondering how far away the unit can be from the RD to still set off an alert. I figured the tester would have to be right up near the unit, but will it alert my detector from further away? It sounds like a neat thing to have, I can't wait till mine comes. Thanks!

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by happya$$

There is no reason to do one when the Veil Guy done one that was absolutely STELLAR. No reason to mess with perfection
    x1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 ,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by PPPOE
    Yes, you can use the laser tester to get a good idea about how different detectors compare for laser sensitivity...
    Hey Jim, I just bought the laser tester from Roy's site, and I was wondering how far away the unit can be from the RD to still set off an alert. I figured the tester would have to be right up near the unit, but will it alert my detector from further away? It sounds like a neat thing to have, I can't wait till mine comes. Thanks!
    Depends. You'll get 50+ feet with the V1 under good conditions, the X50 is close to that. The RX-65 is only a few yards. Don't know about Whistlers...

Good Citizen

Thanks Jim, I see what you mean now.