Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    47

    Default What do I do if they know I have a radar detector in my car?

    Well it is illegal to have a radar detector over here in Norway. So my question is, if they have a radar gun with radar detector detector and know I am using a radar detector, what is the best way to get out of it? I am not sure if they use these guns in Norway, but if they do, and they pull me over for it, what should I do? I have a great hiding place for it, so it would take them some time to find it.

    My dad has a cheap ass detector that I could give them, but it is still a 800 dollar fine for having one in your car (even if it is turned off).

    Thanks for the suggestions,
    Vilhelm

  2. #2
    Experienced
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Budapest, HU
    Posts
    255

    Default Re: What do I do if they know I have a radar detector in my

    Quote Originally Posted by vilhelm
    Well it is illegal to have a radar detector over here in Norway. So my question is, if they have a radar gun with radar detector detector and know I am using a radar detector, what is the best way to get out of it? I am not sure if they use these guns in Norway, but if they do, and they pull me over for it, what should I do? I have a great hiding place for it, so it would take them some time to find it.

    My dad has a cheap *BEEP* detector that I could give them, but it is still a 800 dollar fine for having one in your car (even if it is turned off).

    Thanks for the suggestions,
    Vilhelm
    I could suppose to hold a PMR radio unit in your car. Some cases its multiple-frequencies are near to frequency of the RD's internal oscillator. But it isn't a bullet-proof solution, of course.

  3. #3
    Power User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In Car RamRod
    Posts
    4,001

    Default

    I have one of those in my car....a nice PMR radio.

    Vilhelm, one way is to chuck it out the window...they wont find it then. Other than that chuck it in your pocket and let them search the car all they like.

  4. #4
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    I have one of those in my car....a nice PMR radio.

    Vilhelm, one way is to chuck it out the window...they wont find it then. Other than that chuck it in your pocket and let them search the car all they like.
    Like I said I have a great hide-away spot for it, but if they detect my V1 with their RDD, could they let me go if they didnt find it, or is it 100% certain that I was using a radar detector?

    Thanks,
    Vilhelm

  5. #5
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,357

    Default

    From the stories I've heard they are pretty persistent in some places. Don't know about Norway.

    Something that I should point out is that Spectre is not attached to a radar gun. It's an individual unit that can be used by itself, and often in unmarked cars that are hard to pick out of traffic. Point being, there's no guarantee that you will have any warning whatsoever before you are sniffed out. So you should be prepared for the worst. I would rig it to a kill switch so that you can turn it off and on at will. If you aren't speeding, keep it off. If you do get a radar alert, slow down and turn it off. If you are in the middle of nowhere and they'll know for sure since you're the only car on the road, don't risk it. I live in a place where they are legal, but these are tactics I've learned from others on the board who are experienced with RDDs. There are no guarantees but you can't be too careful when we're talking about a huge fine + the confiscation of your detector.

  6. #6
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brick
    From the stories I've heard they are pretty persistent in some places. Don't know about Norway.

    Something that I should point out is that Spectre is not attached to a radar gun. It's an individual unit that can be used by itself, and often in unmarked cars that are hard to pick out of traffic. Point being, there's no guarantee that you will have any warning whatsoever before you are sniffed out. So you should be prepared for the worst. I would rig it to a kill switch so that you can turn it off and on at will. If you aren't speeding, keep it off. If you do get a radar alert, slow down and turn it off. If you are in the middle of nowhere and they'll know for sure since you're the only car on the road, don't risk it. I live in a place where they are legal, but these are tactics I've learned from others on the board who are experienced with RDDs. There are no guarantees but you can't be too careful when we're talking about a huge fine + the confiscation of your detector.
    Yeah, thanks for the tips, I have actually thought about that, but I just like leaving it on, always fun to spot out some LEO with a radar gun and smile and slow down, and not get a ticket. If it is a stand alone unit I don't think I would have to worry about that. There are not that many detectors over here in Norway, and I might be the only one with the Valentine1 or detectors in the same class. They sell Whistlers over here, and they are nothing compared to the all-mighty V1

  7. #7
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    26

    Default

    as soon as you see cops, grab the detector and throw it in your glovebox and lock it.

  8. #8
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    10,773

    Default

    Not always good idea. I don't know law in Norway, but in Canada the officer only has the right to search the car for a RD not your person. It is best to put it in your jacket pocket, therefore.

  9. #9
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Not always good idea. I don't know law in Norway, but in Canada the officer only has the right to search the car for a RD not your person. It is best to put it in your jacket pocket, therefore.
    Know what you mean, they don't have a right to search your car, but if they make up some dumb reason they are allowed, stupid rule. All they have to say is they thought I had drugs on me or something, and it would make it legal for them to search my car.

    Window tinting on the front windows is illegal here, and my friend has tinted windows all the way around. He has been pulled over several times, he rolls down the windows, and tells the LEO that they don't work... hehe... worked for him every single time... so it kinda depends on the situation.

    I have a great place to hide it, and every time I have been pulled over, I put it there, it would take them quite some time before they found it, if they started searching my car.

  10. #10
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Cops can't search your locked glove compartment or trunk without permission or a warrant.

    Just remember this phrase: I do not consent to any searches. It will come in handy.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 70
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 03:19 PM
  2. ! ESCORTS NEW DETECTOR - THE ESCORT 9500 RADAR DETECTOR !
    By StlouisX50 in forum News Stories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-08-2007, 12:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •