Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sti or V1

Default sti or V1

Which one would you guys perfer, i mean besides the v1 arows and the sto driver is undtechtable, does these both detector have the same long range on k and ka and what about laser which one is better

Radar Fanatic

Default You are kidding me right

You are kidding me right?

www.guysoflidar.com

Make your own assumptions.

Conveniently - here was your old thread in the v1. . http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=23054

And one in Beltronics
    http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=23055

Yoda of Radar

I have to agree with bauzers first remark...

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: sti or V1

Quote Originally Posted by chitownthugin
    Which one would you guys perfer, i mean besides the v1 arows and the sto driver is undtechtable, does these both detector have the same long range on k and ka and what about laser which one is better
    I have an STi, so they must be good :wink:
    RR

Good Citizen

STI would be my next choice after V1.

Lead Foot

For those that "own" or have "owned" both the V1 and STi...What differences did you note between the two? Which did/do you prefer and why?

Thanks!

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    For those that "own" or have "owned" both the V1 and STi...What differences did you note between the two? Which did/do you prefer and why?

Thanks!
    Well they're both pretty good detectors and if I could pick and mix the best features of each then I'd have a wonderful detector. 8)

We only have Ka and laser so I don't get to use the V1's great K band performance. We drive on the left so the V1's faceplate is angled away from me, when it's up high I can just make out the arrows and nothing else and I have to reach all the way across to hit the mute button. It's a bit better down low and central but still a hell of a reach to the mute button. It's a shame Automute isn't on the horizon at Valentine Research.

The audio alert rampup and bogey lock tone are superior on the V1. The arrows... I know this is heresy but I don't use them really. If I get an alert I check my speed and keep driving. I don't look around to find the LEO he'll show up sooner or later. I don't EVER count bogey's it just seems way too inaccurate to be remotely worthwhile and anyway I'm driving FFS shouldn't I be concentrating on that?

For every V1 war story of how the arrows saved me there's another where the arrows led me completely up the garden path... in town or out.

Sensitivity on Ka 34.7 seems too close to call. We also have speed cameras with the angled low power Ka units and I feel safer with the STi.

On laser I just loathe the V1's approach of alert to everything in the hope that it'll save you occasionally... as long as you haven't mentally tuned it out as another false alert. There's a genuinely straightforward, if expensive, answer to laser... get a good jammer. That will do for me.

Programming the V1 is a joke. Sure it'll do the job, but come on... this is the 21st century. If I want to turn Pop off on the STi I just go to POP and toggle it to OFF. It speaks English! If I want to return it to the factory defaults it's the work of moments. The V1's is such a dogs breakfast that it isn't even available in the manual. You have to have a web connection and then print it out and keep it in the car.

I like the way the V1 can always be updated to the latest and greatest. It seems nicely built too but then so does the STi.

I suppose after using RD's for a time you get a mental picture of your "perfect" detector. For me that would be the STi with a better audio ramp up and a bogey lock tone. The V1 is just too much one man's quirky vision and it doesn't coincide with what I want in my car.

Power User

V-won!

Lead Foot

Both

Radar Fanatic

I would have to say Sti. They are both great detectors but i would rather have a less sensitive detector (keep in mind it is not that much less sensitive) then have a detector that went off way more then it needed to. I don't think that the V1 would annoy me but I commonly have people ridding with me in the car and the less disturbances the better. I know with my Rx65 that when it goes off on the highway i am dealing with the police. (or at least a speed sign or radar drone). Also i change the settings on my radar detector a lot since i drive in different areas, on the Sti that is easy to do, but as said before the V1 has some oldschool programing. Don't get me wrong they are both great detectors. Chances are i'll get a V1 in the next year just for kicks; i just saying what i would do if i were you.