Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Experienced

Default How to out smart the officer.

I think it so important to note. Even if we have detectors I think its important to follow this princpal. The other day driving down the freeway I was doing about 90 mph in the far right lane it was a 3 lane road and I would jump to the middle lane every so often when I need to pass a car in the right lane that is going slow and then I would get back in the right lane and speed some more. The amazing thing is I do this almost everyday and it always amazes me how if there is a speed trap up ahead I'll be doing 90 in a 65 and the cops will be looking at the far left lane for the speeders they will be either lasering the far left lane or radaring the far left lane and they will be getting guys right and left and I know for a fact that I'm going way faster then they were. Their's been time I have past a couple of cops at like 30 some over and they dont even look at me with there laser because their eyes are so glued on the far left lane. I guess cops assume and its pretty much safe to say that the highest speeds are in the far left lane. But by doing just the opposite of what they are thinking can save you a world of trouble. It cracks me up everytime I see a speed trap how I wont even get look at. But I'm going the fatest. Of course I slow down when the detector goes off. But the times when I Thought my detector was on and it was turn off by doing that technique has saved me many times. Even when the detector is on I stay in the far right lane and when I need to pass I get in the middle lane and get right back in the right lane. I think speeding in the far left lane to me your just asking for it especially if you get one of those low powered instant on alerts when coming around a corner then your fried.

Good Citizen

I drive as right as possible depending on congestion. I do typically 15-20 over every single damn day (PSL 65), and only had my RD go off... once in the past 3-4 months on I-80. (I drive in highway mode whenever im on 80).

Hey at work I have a whistler on sale (going discontinued) for like $40 bucks has anyone seen it? I've been telling people like crazy its a good idea I'm thinking of getting one for my mom.

Good Citizen

Default Right Lane

That is a good strategy.
    Works well in Michigan since the left lane is always blocked by a slow-moving soccer mom anyway.

Professional

the left lane in the United States is pointless.... Americans do not know how to drive on the highway, PERIOD.

Drivers do not yield to faster traffic throughout the States.... you have to go AROUND them and pass on the right... where as law says to pass on the left.

I have yet to shoot :wink: at any cars in a road rage incident, but I make sure that they get a good enough scare that they wont drive on the left lane ever again. 8)

the mentality of the idiots that drive 70mph in the left lane is "I am doing the speed limit and I do not have to move out of this lane. If you want to drive 90, then you will have to drive around me, because I am not moving."

the mentality that I institute is that if I have to drive around someone that is driving slower than I am in the left lane, and they fail to move over after I flash my highbeams and honk, then what follows is a heavy dose of hand signs and foul language, or I lock the brakes up in front of them. (nah, I dont want to hurt my german thoroughbred)

Experienced

the amazing part about speeding in the right lane is going by cops like 30 over even though you detector goes off and watch how they dont even look in your direction because they are so hell bent on getting somebody in the left lane.

Experienced

just use this saying left lane slow to pass and right lane speed up and no cash. Actually when talking to an officer about 10 houses down from me he belongs in the drug task force now but he clearly remember his days being the low dog and catching speeders he said that he can think of much better things to do then to catch people speeding down the highway. He said Police in general get so caught up in doing what is pointless but they get totally lost of what there real job is and that is catching real criminals like the person that just finished a drug deal down the street instead of giving somebody a speeding ticket. Actually the real shame of it all is he said that accident rates goes up when they do a saturation patrol on the freeways and it increases traffic. He said though that the left lane is pretty much the lane that cops look at. They really could care less about the other lanes. unless your the only one on the road. Infact he remember that most of the time which he can count only on a handful of occasion where he pulled somebody over in the right lane and he gave them a warning because cops assume that if your speeding in the right lane you just flat didnt know it. Where if your in the far left lane then cops assume right off the bat they know your out on a mission of speeding. Plus he said you can have the best radar detector in the world but all it takes is one hit with a instant on low power gun and you've had it. But by staying in the far right lane as much as possiable you avoid allot of instant on hits and will make that detector you bought worth while. Also he remember that service roads are another big cop haven if there is any big parking lot area on the service road always assume a cop will be there ready to instant on you. Or if the service road is cresting a hill always assume that just as you crest the hill a cop is going to be right there. Same applys for bridges. and blinding corners. He believe the safest time to speed is when there is no bridges on the road the road is farily flat and there is few turns. Cops dont like open areas because there easley spotted. Also he said in your area try to find out when the change over takes place at the police station thats when very few if any cops will be on the road and if they are on the road they wont be ticketing they will be trying to get back to the station. Those are some tips he brought up. I was kinda suprise he was giving me on this info considering he is a cop himself.

Good Citizen

Default Great Points

All great points...it all comes down to common sense. I have always varied my speed by the road I am driving on. Experience will remind you where the cops tend to sit if you pay attention. If you get bored, try to beat your RD to the punch!

It's funny that most times in clear conditions the far right is usually the one with the least amount of traffic on it.

When I'm going fast, I always make it a point to stay out of the far left lane. I call this type of driving "flying under the radar". As most everyone has stated, ever since I adopted this technique, I haven't gotten stopped once (knock, knock), and I normally average about 90 mph.

snaps

Lead Foot

that trick will NOT work over here...because it's never just 1 police shooting radar/laser it's a bunch of them :x

Experienced

let me just say about multiple cops normally the far right lane you stand more chance of getting off with a warning then being in the left also. how many time will you encounter multiple cops versus one every now in then clocking the far left lane.