Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newbie needs advice.

I live in England and just bought my first detector a Bel euro 330. My question is about gatso detection. On my way to work i pass approx 7 gatso cameras. Does the Bel only detect the cameras if i am speeding? The cameras are in 40mph zones. I thought that the detector would alert me of any gatso camera regardless of my speed. I tried it for the first time yesterday and as i am aware of the cameras i did not go above the 40mph limit. The only time the Bel bleeped was when i passed a couple of filling stations. The Bel is mounted in my Mitsubishi Pajero on the windscreen with nothing blocking its view. All detectable bands are turned on and its in motorway mode, i have also tried city mode. As its my first detector i am pretty clueless, maybe i have a faulty detector.

Any help is much appreciated.

Power User

seems weird, im not fimilar with the gastro cameras....Imaybee try this;

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/Gatso.htm

http://www.abd.org.uk/gatso_photo_checking.htm

http://www.termsys.demon.co.uk/gatso.htm

The last link is your answer I think.... I am sure the ones you drove past use the "LOOP" radar, measures speed on the road as you pass over point 1,2,3... they are NOT using radar.

Get a GPS camera device like a road angel.

Default Gatso

Hi Stalker

Thanks for the links. I did'nt realize gatso's had 2 ways to detect speed. Looks like the ones i encounter might be strips in the road type and not laser.

Thanks again.

Power User

no probs, we have simalar devices here.

Advanced Member

Maybe what to upgrade to use a GPS system along with your detector

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Good Citizen

Default Clearly Marked

All of the Photo Cameras in England are clearly marked! It is just a matter of paying attention. What you need is a "Congestion Tax" Blinder for when you go into Central London. You could market it like VEIL!! LOL

Do they every pull people over for speeding????

Power User

Default Re: Clearly Marked

Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    All of the Photo Cameras in England are clearly marked! It is just a matter of paying attention. What you need is a "Congestion Tax" Blinder for when you go into Central London. You could market it like VEIL!! LOL

Do they every pull people over for speeding????

its not always that easy, just a momentaery lack of concentrated and gonnneeeeee

If it wasnt for my road angel i would have been busted a few times...on cameras that i pass all the time

Experienced

Default Re: Newbie needs advice.

Quote Originally Posted by yamaha-98
    I live in England and just bought my first detector a Bel euro 330. My question is about gatso detection. On my way to work i pass approx 7 gatso cameras. Does the Bel only detect the cameras if i am speeding? The cameras are in 40mph zones. I thought that the detector would alert me of any gatso camera regardless of my speed. I tried it for the first time yesterday and as i am aware of the cameras i did not go above the 40mph limit. The only time the Bel bleeped was when i passed a couple of filling stations. The Bel is mounted in my Mitsubishi Pajero on the windscreen with nothing blocking its view. All detectable bands are turned on and its in motorway mode, i have also tried city mode. As its my first detector i am pretty clueless, maybe i have a faulty detector.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Hi, welcome to the board!
    I don't think that your BEL-330 is a faulty one because it alarmed you at some gas stations as usual. I have practice with Gatsos from my travels at other countries only because in Hungary they don't use any fixed speed-traps, yet.
    Well, it's true that there are two way of detection of your speed at these cameras: radar or loops in the surface of the road. But if it is really a Gatso unit then it use K band radar only.
    There could be a reason if your BEL didn't make an alert when you passed Gatso: there isn't any active Gatso. They bought some boxes and only 1 Gatso at an area and they move Gatso from box to box occasionally. This is a cost-efficient solution and people without RD never know that which box contains the Gatso actually. GPS units could alarm you at all boxes but RD could alarm you at the box with Gatso only - it isn't depend on your speeding.

Power User

i think you are incorrect TT, the website i have linked in a previous post states some are loop radar and some real radar.

Yamaha 98, just look on the road, if there is 3 saw cuts about 5mm thick on the road then it is loop radar.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    i think you are incorrect TT, the website i have linked in a previous post states some are loop radar and some real radar.

Yamaha 98, just look on the road, if there is 3 saw cuts about 5mm thick on the road then it is loop radar.
    Well, I didn't check your links, yet - sorry. I'll do it right now.