Good Citizen

Default X-band frequency question

The police around here use more X-band than any other radar band. The problem is, so do a lot of non-radar devices. Does anyone know the specific frequencies used by police X-band radar? It would be useful to know which frequencies are likely to be falses and which ones police radar. Here are the ones I got yesterday (didn't see any LEOs after these alerts, but neither were there any other obvious x-band sources -- we didn't write down the ones that were obviously door openers):

10.153 (passing by police station parking lot, but all the cars seemed to be empty and parked) -- this one seems to be out of the x-band range according to the GOL site technical info (but it's possible my son, who was writing these down for me, wrote it down wrong and it was actually 10.553)

Yoda of Radar

Basically if the detector is alerting on X it could be a real threat. Now police radar should be centered on the band better than door openers (eg closer to 10.525) but anything you get could be an off-tune X band. And considering the median age of X band guns that can be seriously out of band.

X should only be 10,525 GHz +/- 25 MHz so a 10.153 is kind of weird. Unless it was 10.513...

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Basically if the detector is alerting on X it could be a real threat. Now police radar should be centered on the band better than door openers (eg closer to 10.525) but anything you get could be an off-tune X band. And considering the median age of X band guns that can be seriously out of band.

X should only be 10,525 GHz +/- 25 MHz so a 10.153 is kind of weird. Unless it was 10.513...
    Ah, okay... so if the police radar gun is in tune, it should be shooting off 10.525 frequency waves; therefore, the closer the frequency is to 10.525, the more likely it's a LEO (though out-of-tune guns shooting off various x-band frequencies are likely to be common)?

Is it the same deal with K-band -- i.e., the closer the frequency is to 24.150, the more likely it is to be a LEO? A lot of the automatic doors around here are 24.164, but we got a 24.212 and a 24.246 yesterday from unknown sources.

BTW, I *love* tech mode! ops:

Advanced Member

X-Band motion sensors and police radar share the same band. The motion sensors use cheaper parts and also are not calibrated at regular intervals like police radar. So, it might stand to reason that if it is way off the center of the band, it is more likely to be a motion sensor than police radar, but not necessarily. Both motion sensors and police radar can be anywhere throughout the band.

Good Citizen

Default Re: X-band frequency question

Quote Originally Posted by takk

10.153 (passing by police station parking lot, but all the cars seemed to be empty and parked) -- this one seems to be out of the x-band range according to the GOL site technical info (but it's possible my son, who was writing these down for me, wrote it down wrong and it was actually 10.553)
    I passed by a police station today and was getting Ka a block away and I couldn't see a single car with someone in it.