Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default road trip to canada

alright so i will be going to to canada this july 4th weekend by car.
    Ill be going through syracuse to niagra falls and to toronto or is it ontario?
    going with my family and of course x50

i just wanted to see if there is anything i should know and what i will encounter up there? i read already from other posts that RD are illegal in ontario and they will give you a fine + take your RD. is it illegal anywhere else? and what is spectre?

Newcomer

Default Re: road trip to canada

Quote Originally Posted by nomis
    alright so i will be going to to canada this july 4th weekend by car.
    going with my family and of course x50

i just wanted to see if there is anything i should know and what i will encounter up there? i read already from other posts that RD are illegal in ontario and they will give you a fine + take your RD. is it illegal anywhere else? and what is spectre?
    spectre is a popular way for the cops to scan for signal "leaks" and give them a "general" idea that someone has an RD. BTW, there is a whole other Forum dedicated to Spectre and other RDD (radar detector Detectors). and yes, if they detect (or even SEE with their own eyes) that you have a RD in your car, they can and will take it (and prolly use it in their own cars!) plus slap you with a HUGE fine or ticket.

better be careful and try to be familiar with the area. also i dont know if they use laser as much as in ohio, but unless you have some kind of laser protection kit installed, if i were you, i would just follow the speed limits and watch the road while you are away. i say this because you don't live in that area and thus probably aren't as familiar with locations cops like to sit and watch you, but i wouldn't want to have my RD confiscated and then be ticketed big time. Call me paranoid, but that would kill me, financially speaking. and i dont take risks when i spend $300 for box in my car only to possibly have it taken away.

well, enough of me ranting, there are many guys living in ontario and toronto that know those roads and can give you actual useful advice and ideas to stay safe up there like that "smartasssaabr" guy, forgot how to spell his username...

go visit that other big thread!

Professional

Default Re: road trip to canada

Quote Originally Posted by nomis
    Toronto is in Ontario :wink:

Newcomer

If you are travelling to Ontario, I would recommend that you do not use your X50. It's a long weekend for us as well, and every long weekend the OPP gets aggressive on the highways. They'll watch for aggressive drivers and expect lots of traps from Niagara to Toronto. You'll be on the QEW and the 401 at some point. They'll probably be setting up some laser traps and sometimes they'll sneak up behind you with radar. It's especially not worth using your RD this weekend since we have Spectre here, and they'll know tons of Americans are coming over and will be ready to grab your RDs. Take your chances if you want...

Lead Foot

Toronto is a very nice place to drive, lots of laser on the 401 tho :/

b.t.w Radar is banned mostly everywhere in canada (all eastern province)
    there wil be ALOT OF Spectre in ontario be carefull

Newcomer

o boy, that dosent sound too good...

so i guess i can only use my RD till the border of america then :?

i didnt know they were banned THAT much in

is it legal to use anywhere it across the border?

Advanced Member

not worth risking it in ontario it's illegal and more of canada it's illegal

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Advanced Member

RDs are illegal in most provinces of Canada at least the ones you'll be visiting but then again our speed limits are 100 so you can drive pretty fast.

Lead Foot

I had my RD off in Ontario/Toronto most of the time because I fear the Spectre TOO Much, Ontario is the worst place to have a detector :cry:

I also saw alot of Unmarked car on the side of the road doing LASER, (and probably having spectre unit to catch RDD Users)

there is a few story on this board about people getting caught in ontario
    you be charged around 200-400$ + have your detector removed :cry:

Newcomer

my brother got caught using his RD up in canada because he didnt know they were illegal up there. the cop was nice tho and told him to stash it deep in his bags and drove off