Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Newbie seeking advice - Hong Kong (but general questions)

Hi,

I'm Dan from Hong Kong (HK). I have just received another Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) for speeding - 65km/h in a 50 zone - that's exactly the number of kn/h over the limit that'll lose me points. One less and the NIP would not have been issued.

This is war.

Almost everybody is really law abiding in HK. 99% of people don't contest these NIPs and roll over with a fine and points deducted. I'm going to fight this and hopefully challenge the calibration. All I need is 1km/h doubt to get off.

I'm here because I want to avoid getting ticketed again. So I need to tell you what the situation is here:

• Most police gear is similar to that used in the United Kingdom (UK)
    • We use UK-style licence plates
    • The use of Radar/ Laser detectors and jammers is a "no-no"
    • There are no accurate and up to date speed camera maps or GPS services that I know of
    • I estimate that 60% of the threat is from fixed cameras that take photos of the back of your car (flashing type and mostly laser detecting); 30% of the threat is from a cop with a tripod-mounted gun and a stop team around the bend; the remaining 10% is unmarked traffic cop cars

My initial planned strategy is to sweep my most driven routes with a detector while driving at precicely law-abiding speeds and note the postitions of all cameras.

Later I will drive with the detector and some kind of an anti-photo treatment/ device on the rear plate. I will drive extra warily passing through high-threat locations.

Although I am sure next to nobody would dare use one here, I am also too scared to run a jammer. My detector needs to have radar/laser-detector-detector protection.

So here's my questions:

What detector to buy? I don't want to be stopped with a detector visable in the car. I am looking for a model that is unobtrusive or hidden, works well against most UK detectors and offers reasonable value for money.

What anti-photo system to buy? I'll try anything unless it's readily detectable at a random traffic stop or from a pursuit car.

Thansk guys! I know it looks like I am too lazy to research it myself, but there's a lot of info, I am confused and I don't know what is relevant to HK/UK and up-to date.

Please help.

Dan

Radar Fanatic

Roy seemed impressed by the "back-flash" type devices that flood your licens plate with light if they sense a camera flash. That might be just the ticket to dealing with your photo radar devices. The SML report ought to give you good info on those when it comes out.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    Roy seemed impressed by the "back-flash" type devices that flood your licens plate with light if they sense a camera flash. That might be just the ticket to dealing with your photo radar devices. The SML report ought to give you good info on those when it comes out.
    Thanks, Tim.

We use the UK-style flat acetate plates with numbers on a reflective strip on the back. I'm considering a spray, or I may have a set of custom reflective plates made.

Anyone have any comments about the detector?

Banned

wow they must take speeding a real threat and a huge crime i mean its a crime here in the states so i guess we are all criminals???? but anyway yea i dont know HK law but do u guys have lawyers?

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Iknox
    wow they must take speeding a real threat and a huge crime i mean its a crime here in the states so i guess we are all criminals???? but anyway yea i dont know HK law but do u guys have lawyers?
    The police here are on a quota and must raise public funds through ticketing.

Lawyers are available, and I can contest the offence, but it is cost-prohibitive - lawyers would charge too much and the police charge court costs.

Good Citizen

Hiya Dan!
    I'm also in HK Firstly Photoblocker spray can be bought in HK it's $300 a pop. I have heard stories on it's effectiveness though. Haven't tried it myself.
    The Birdcages around HK are KA band, most of the detectors can only give you at most 100m warning before the camera. Which if your doin 50Kmh over the limit is insufficient time to slow down. Most of the times I know where the boxes are and drive past 10Kmh over, no problem.
    The reflective rear plate sounds good. But remember these would only work on cameras that flash, and I hear the HK cops are changing their systems to all digital cameras, much like Melbourne Australias system, where each car will be caught radonmly on film several times a day.

Cheers

Good Citizen

Can you refer me to a Photoblocker or detector supplier?

Administrator

What detector to buy? I don't want to be stopped with a detector visable in the car. I am looking for a model that is unobtrusive or hidden, works well against most UK detectors and offers reasonable value for money.
    One of our most popular concealed units overseas is the Bel 975R. I don't think that they use Ku band in HK so you should be ok with this one:
    http://www.radarbusters.com/products...onics/975r.asp

What anti-photo system to buy? I'll try anything unless it's readily detectable at a random traffic stop or from a pursuit car.
    I have to be honest about this, I was very skeptical about the flash back devices that are being sold, but when one unit was tested at SML I was blown away! They did work! We will be carrying them on our website within the next 48 hours. Check this area in the next couple of days:
    http://www.radarbusters.com/products...ar/default.asp
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Experienced

Hi PEN1!

There isn't any Ku as I know but there are 24.125GHz (K), 34.3GHz (Ka) and 9.41GHz (X1) at a few tunnels only.
    If 975 has the same efficiency on Ka band that 966Euro then I think that it should be the best solution to buy one from Roy.

Good Citizen

Firstly Dan, if you don't have a RD get one! RD's are still a grey area in HK so stick with one from either the big 3. RX65, X50 or V1, myself I'm a V1 zombie
    Nvr2fast another HK'er, has had good results from his X50 against the KA multanovas, I'm waiting for my V1 to return with the new Euro hardware and will test it against the KA's.
    Another thing if your buying I would suggest you should buy from places like here! Atleast you will get some customer service from Roy, whereas if you bought one from HK they would have no real valid warranty.

Cheers