Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default What are these annoying things for (in my town) ????

What are these annoying things for??? There on every red light in my town. They produce a Ka band frequency. And when you get real close to them there is a small red led that comes on like a motion sensor????

They are most annoying to my Pro-73.

Thanks

AstroSteve

Power User

Those are usually X band. Just like when you go to wally world and the door senses you are there that is the same thing that does.

Most of the time you see those when there is no loop or apron on the ground below you when you pull up to the light. Meaning in some cities they have a rectangle or square cut out in the concrete. It's like a pressure plate or magnet as I have heard to. It's called an apron.

If you city does not have that they will install those annoying x band things but I don't have x band on so I don't care. Also about 4 months ago I complained to the traffic department in my city that the light was not changing even after I had been on the apron for than a min. About 4 days later they had that sensor thing on there that was putting out x. Just a quick fix I guess. It is not there now.

Good Citizen

These are certainly Ka band!!! Which I found to be quite odd. So what you are saying that these aprons act as a trigger system to control the red lights. They tell it when there are cars there waiting and so on. I figured that's what they were. I just can't understand why they are not X band instead Ka band.

Power User

ka band? That is a new one then. Smart at that if it is. But that is what it looks like to me.

Good Citizen

Well that's what the Pro-73 is screaming at.... (Ka Band) I have it in City 2 mode which completely blocks out X. They have a small area of signal too, I noticed that your pretty darn on top of them to get a 9 on the signal strength. The 1-3 signal starts say 100-150 yards away.

Stealthcb

Quote Originally Posted by AstroSteve
    Well that's what the Pro-73 is screaming at.... (Ka Band) I have it in City 2 mode which completely blocks out X. They have a small area of signal too, I noticed that your pretty darn on top of them to get a 9 on the signal strength. The 1-3 signal starts say 100-150 yards away.
    Keep in mind that the Pro 73 occasionally confuses K and Ka band, so I suspect this thing is really K-band.

Good Citizen

In my country we have got them also. They are K band radars to see if there is a traffic jam. Normally the use induction loops, but sometimes they also use these K band radars to see what the speed is.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthcb
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroSteve
    Keep in mind that the Pro 73 occasionally confuses K and Ka band, so I suspect this thing is really K-band.
    The 58 confuses all bands so I assume the 73 is the same.

I have seen it show X band as Ka band. I confirmed this with my X50.

Radar Fanatic

yep my town has one of those in the city limits K BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Citizen

You know what is really funny about this, the 73 will start off with a short K1-2 burst then switch to Ka. So you guys must be right it's confusing it for Ka. Still annoying little devices everywhere!!!!!