Default Non radar/lasar tactics?

While driving on hway around 2am ish on a weekend (soon after last calls), i noticed a cop speeding around 80ish without lights on and without any read on my RD. then i noticed him pulling someone over that was in front of me (i was going at limit, luckily). so i was wondering:

do some leos use their own car's speed to catch speeders (ie. slow their car when they meet up w/ a suspected speeder, and if the other car's going faster and over the limit, then pull him over)--altho i'm not sure if it's even admissible in court.

i saw the leo finish up in less than a couple of mins (the time it took me to catch up with them), so i'm wondering if it's more for sobriety reasons the leos speed on the freeways like that.

Advanced Member

Yes, it's called pacing. In some areas, they do this quite frequently, and it usually holds up in court as long as their speedometer is properly calibrated.

Good Citizen

Yep. I was pulled over in by a Wisconsin State trooper a couple years ago by this method.

Driving back from Milwaukee going towards the Northwestern Chicago 'burbs on I-94.

PSL is 65. I was probably doing around 70. I then pull in the leftmost lane to pass some traffic and then settle in the middle lane again. I probably went up over 75mph during that passing sequence.

Sure enough an unmarked WST pulls up behind me and turns on his lights.

Following conversation ensues as he walks up;

Trooper: License & insurance card please.
    [Looks at my DL. When getting a citation in Illinois, they staple your DL to the citation. LEO looked for the staple marks. Mine had none]
    Trooper: Any reason why you can't do 65?
    Me: No sir, I'm sorry. We've been in Milwaukee all day, the kids are tired (they were sleeping in the back), and we're just trying to get home. I have no excuses. I was just passing some slower traffic. I'm sorry.
    [Trooper looks in the back and sees sleeping kids]
    Trooper: Is this your vehicle?
    Me: Yes Sir.
    Trooper: If I let you go, is there any reason why I can't trust you'll do the PSL the rest of the way home?
    Me: No sir.
    Trooper: Because if I give youa citation, it'll be $xxx (I can't remember the amount)
    Me: I understand
    Trooper: Go home and be careful
    Me: THANK YOU!

I was lucky as Wisconcin State Troopers to nail Illinois drivers.