Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Driving from FL to NJ: observations and concerns

I recently got my Camry fully loaded (Passport 8500+Blinder M20+Veil+laser shield), and took it on a trip from Florida to New Jersey. Thinking I'm (almost) fully protected to start with, my observations along the way really got me worried about my investment.

The detector did alert me of a trooper parked under an overpass and operating a radar gun. HOWEVER, along the way I saw at least ten cars pulled over by the trooper, yet not a single time did the detector alert me of the presence of a radar gun or the trooper: no prior alert, not even when I was driving pass the trooper's car!

And this brings up two concerns for me:
    1. If the troopers were not using a radar/laser gun, how were they doing their job? I mean, how did the troopers nail those speeders?
    2. If, based on my personal experience, the troopers are not using radar/laser gun as their primary weapon, then what's the point for all our pricey gadgets? It costed me more than 700 dollars to get my car "loaded!"

Am I the only person to worry about this?

Lead Foot

once he have pulled over someone he can turn is radar off.. or is was operating is radar in instant-on Mode..

that just mean the radar is not transmitting any signal
    nothing to worrie about

Quote Originally Posted by LiQuiDz
    once he have pulled over someone he can turn is radar off.. or is was operating is radar in instant-on Mode..

that just mean the radar is not transmitting any signal
    nothing to worrie about
    Then it is a standard operatin procedure for every trooper? I mean, my detector didn't alert me of any single trooper operating the radar gun. And, my bigger concern is, how do those troopers operate their radar gun, in their cars, or they were just pacing with a target w/o any use of radar gun?

Advanced Member

Alot of troopers are smart and realized that there are plenty of radar detector users so they sit with their radar off and wait for someone to blow by them and then the cop will pull out from hiding flip the radar on to get a speed lock, trn the radar back on to standby, and issue the ticket

Troopers selectively use their radar and laser to keep their presense hidden

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    Alot of troopers are smart and realized that there are plenty of radar detector users so they sit with their radar off and wait for someone to blow by them and then the cop will pull out from hiding flip the radar on to get a speed lock, trn the radar back on to standby, and issue the ticket

Troopers selectively use their radar and laser to keep their presense hidden
    Then, a added precaution to all the gadgets is to check to the back from time to time? Actually that was what I did: scanning the rear-view mirror every couple minutes to see if there's a suspicious car.

Advanced Member

Well I'm a detector user and always will be but i'm hardly ever expect my detector to alert. I'm always checking my mirros and scanning the road ahead of me for u- turn spots

Scanner-RS Pro-96

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    Well I'm a detector user and always will be but i'm hardly ever expect my detector to alert. I'm always checking my mirros and scanning the road ahead of me for u- turn spots
    Gee, if we cannot count on the detector to alert us, then what's the point for buying one, especially the highly hyped/priced ones like Passport? It took me some time to persuade my wife into believing this is a good investment, and now I need to tell her to keep an eye on the mirror/road while having the detector on......

Advanced Member

I have trust in my detector to save me from thetraps where cops aren't waiting for the person that should be pulled over....benerally if the cop is running radar constantly he is looking to give an easy ticket...if his radar is off he is only looking for the person he knows are speeding

Also cops are 1st trained to visually estimate speed and to verify them thinking you might be speeding, they use laser or radar.

Scanner-RS Pro-96

Scratonicity Groupie

You bought the best and your investment will be worth the money. its just going to take some time to get to know your x50. as stated by other people alot of troopers turn there units off after they have someone pulled over.

also, whats the worry you didnt get a ticket as much as I like to see my equiptment do its job I always love it when I see nothing at all!!!

--staton

Professional

When I pass a cop and expect to get a radar hit and I don't, this is what I think is happening, in order of probability.

1. Radar is OFF Cop is busy or waiting for obvious speeder, or not working traffic at the moment.

2. Cop is using laser, and either beam was too narrow or not on my car.

3. POP is in use

4. VASCAR is in use

Ed