Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Laser detection; day or night or does it make no difference?

Is it easier to get hit with laser at day or night? I read something about if your lights are on.... can someone clarify?

Speed Demon

Night.

The LEO's can hider easier. NEVER speed at night. It's a common thing people say on this board.

Old Timer

- Leos can hide easier

- Get readings faster (laser)

- If they are moving it is more common for them to use instant on since there are not as many cars on the road.

Know your area.

Good Citizen

damn, i def need to buy a laser jammer then.

Power User

Headlights don't do a THING to police laser except serve as light-up aiming targets. Night time is the most dangerous time for speeding tickets because it compromises your most powerful defense -- awareness of your surroundings.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Headlights don't do a THING to police laser except serve as light-up aiming targets. Night time is the most dangerous time for speeding tickets because it compromises your most powerful defense -- awareness of your surroundings.
    I'm pretty sure Road and Track or Car and Driver demonstrated that first generation laser guns would lose some range if a vehicle running its high beams had its headlights targeted. The glare might impair the night vision of the cop at closer ranges though, making it harder for him to see what he's targeting to begin with.

I agree with everyone else that the best tactic is just to slow down a little bit.

Power User

Some range, yes, but CERTAINLY not enough range to be a danger to you. Also, not everyone (unless you want a ticket anyway) will be running their high beams, and low-beams really don't generate much glare to the officer. There are some hypotheses that the pulsed infrared emissions from HID headlamps could impair laser, but I've not seen anything to say to me that this is any different from the spinny disco ball or hanging CD myths....

Newcomer

Man, I hate people w/ high beams at night. I feel like swerving into them!
    Oh yeah, and those c :!: cksuckers with those awful blue headlamps too. There's nothing quite like going blind on a two lane road in the middle of nowhere.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by rks
    Oh yeah, and those c :!: cksuckers with those awful blue headlamps too. There's nothing quite like going blind on a two lane road in the middle of nowhere.
    I hate it that, after the misconception arose that xenon bulbs are blue just because they're white and people are used to seeing yellow halogens, some asshole actually was evil enough to cash in on those dumbasses by selling blue halogen bulbs.

Professional

The big advantage to night time laser is the LEO's can hide better. In my area, night time laser is very common(more frequent that IO) so a jammer is a must. In many places, at night, IO is more common than laser.