Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Power User

Default SPEEDING AT NIGHT

I was curious of the forum member who speeds at night? I sometimes will do it because I am used to it., nothing crazy of course, but def. over the PSL.

Also, in general I am finding it harder to find Rabbits these days, since maybe I am the one going the fastest? LOL. I would think the theory is there are people always going to go faster, but I rarely see it these days.

Professional

My night vision isn't the best and it's a lot harder for me to pick out the headlights of a LEO over a regular old car at night.

I tend not to drive as fast at night as I do during the day, but I still go over the PSL. I like to think of speed limits as merely suggestions.

Old Timer

I speed more over the PSL at night than during the day, just because it is safer to do so. There's less cars around, so I feel safer. Then again, since there are less cars, there are less rabbits. :?

I've always jokingly thought that if you go fast enough, you're always going to have a rabbit since you are catching up to everyone. This is more the case on intersates where there is always someone on the road.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by ELVATO
    I speed more over the PSL at night than during the day, just because it is safer to do so.
    Well until you hit a large animal at night, which causes you to lose control of your vehicle and flip it because it is top heavy... or you swerve to miss a large animal and again flip it because its top heavy.

Where I live it is certainly NOT safer to speed at night (not sure what animals you have down south... wild boar?)... but where I live deer are the main concern.

Deer are always out at night, and no matter what you drive (besides a mack truck... they are dangerous. So I tend to (not always), keep my speed lower at night simply because there are more deer out at dusk/night and the visibility is much less. (Even a monster SUV wont save someone against a deer everytime, they can jump many many feet in the air without a thought and go right up onto your hood and through the windshield.)

Anycase my reasoning behind not speeding (as much) at night has nothing to do with LEO's (though they are harder to spot), its more about my own safety.

*I still do speed at night, dont get me wrong*

Experienced

On the interstates here (75 mph PSL), I usually set the cruise to about 80 mph at night. 75 on routes posted at 65.

Yoda of Radar

Alligators are a lot less disruptive to the trajectory of an SUV than a deer to a motorbike :mrgreen:

Old Timer

Well I do see deer every so often around here. Most of the time, you can see their eyes before you see them. But yea, when I said safer, I was mostly referring to interstate driving. I don't see too many deer there

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by ELVATO
    Well I do see deer every so often around here. Most of the time, you can see their eyes before you see them. But yea, when I said safer, I was mostly referring to interstate driving. I don't see too many deer there

We see them all over the interstate, literally all over (tractor trailors turn them into pieces)... kinda disgusting to see.

I understand what you meant by safer, and I am sure it is there... Im saying where I live it is most certainly more dangerous, on your average 5mile drive from my house to the city.... you will see about 8-10deer normally after night.

Power User

Speeding at night sucks when you are in an area with LEO's driving non-conventional service vehicles. Because of the darkness and the vehicles looking "normal"; pacing is deadly unless you slow down for any vehicles rolling up on you. Too bad the cops aren't forced to use crown Vics only.

Lead Foot

Speeding at night on i16 in S GA is pretty dangerous when it comes to the GSP. They are pros at using instant on from the wooded medians. They are impossible to spot (even if you know they are there) and they know how to get you. A friend warned me about one set up at night. I drove by and my detector was going off. I looked everywhere and could not see him.

I feel much safer speeding during the day when I can spot LEO's.

focalcivic: I too noticed the lack of rabbits. I used to drive 85mph on interstates and rabbits were common. Now I choose higher speeds and i haven't been able to find a rabbit in a LONG time. Also I don't get people tagging along. Maybe this is saying something. note: I don't drive aggressively or dangerously, just way over PSL.