Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RD Freeze Test

Professional

Default RD Freeze Test

I know this may sound crazy and insane, but I was curious for those of you who live in cold climates (snow & ice) just how cold can it get before your RD stops working all together?

Here is what I am doing. I realize that by doing this I run the risk of voiding my warranty (up in two weeks anyways) and making my RD become a paper weight.

I stuck both my V1 and Bel in my freezer. So far I let my V1 "freeze" for 3 hours. Plugged it in and works fine. Test with my K band radar gun picks up IO just fine. The Bel is still "chill'n" to see just how cold it has to get before it gives an error code.

I will update later with my findings for Bel.

Ace

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: RD Freeze Test

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_Racer
    I stuck both my V1 and Bel in my freezer.
    :shock:

Wow. You're brave.

Okay...um, here's the deal. As a GENERAL (NOT ABSOLUTE!) rule, electronics like to be cold. The cooler your computer's CPU is, the better. Some people are able to get their computers to run incredibly fast by FREEZING the CPU (they actually stick a metal plate, hooked up to a refrigeration system and cooled below freezing, directly against the CPU).

HOWEVER...actually freezing entire systems is never recommended. First of all, you're freezing any air inside the box, so if it has moisture inside, it will condense on the electronics. THAT'S BAD! Second, it might cause warping, especially on sensitive components like oscillators and horns and things, which might be screwed up by that kind of treatment. Third, remember that as different materials heat and cool, they expand and contract at different rates. You COULD cause important bits and pieces to separate.

Professional

ops:

Well I had better go get them out then before permanent damage is done.

BRB

TO THE FREEZER!

Ace

Professional

well, i live in minnesota and it gets pretty cold during the winter and does get below zero regularly. i would leave my detector in my car from 7am-2:30pm and overnight and it still worked just fine.

Professional

Well I took them out and so far they are fine. I just wanted to see how cold they could get. I must say that the V1 when frozen for 3 1/2 hours is SUPER sensitive to K band trigger KA ghost super easy when in the car.

Ace

Speed Demon

You'd be more likely to damage it from condensation than from cold by putting it in the freezer.

Professional

Yeah I agree but you know I just thought it would be interesting to see. I have them running right now in the car to "warm up" and hopefully unharmed.

Ace

Speed Demon

hope its not a humid day out!

When i freeze hard drives to get data off of them I put them in a sealed ziplock bag to minimize the amount of moisture that gets in w/ the drive to keep it from condensating. I can only imagine what would happen to a disk drive if the platters got all watery

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_Racer
    Yeah I agree but you know I just thought it would be interesting to see. I have them running right now in the car to "warm up" and hopefully unharmed.

Ace
    That's the LAST place they need to be. Condensation forms best when there is a large variation in temperature. You want to gradually warm the detectors back up so that the humidity in the warm air won't rapidly condense on the much cooler detector.

Yoda of Radar

I find when the detectors are really cold (eg -30 *C) they work poorly and false a lot. I prefer to keep them inside.