Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Suggestions for a unit that can be mounted under the hood

Hello,

I am looking for a radar detector that can do two things.

Firstly, I must be able to mount the antenna under the hood.
    Secondly, I can only spend up to $200.

The only one that I have found so far is the Whistler Pro-3450. I have read a few tests on it and it does not appear to perform too hot.

I know that I am quite the novice on this topic, so I was hoping to get some input from the members of the Radar Detector forum.

Thanks so much.

Old Timer

Why do you need to mount the antenna under the hood?

For that price, you aren't going to get many "hot performers" with the exception of maybe the Whistler Pro-78. But these units are dash mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by ELVATO
    Why do you need to mount the antenna under the hood?

For that price, you aren't going to get many "hot performers" with the exception of maybe the Whistler Pro-78. But these units are dash mounted.
    Just due to my situation "stealth" is key. Pretty much during normal operations I need the unit to be as "invisible" as possible. Therefore a dash-mount or a visor-mount is really out of the question.

Though I may not be getting a "hot performer" are there even any alternatives?

Power User

you wont find anything stealth under 200 bucks......... any remote type RD you get will be snffed out by a RDD in no time, and not to mention any decent performing remote mount will cost ATLEAST 600 bucks thereabouts

cheapest stealth option is a hardwired STI, and in total thats gonna run you around 500 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi666
    you wont find anything stealth under 200 bucks......... any remote type RD you get will be snffed out by a RDD in no time, and not to mention any decent performing remote mount will cost ATLEAST 600 bucks thereabouts

cheapest stealth option is a hardwired STI, and in total thats gonna run you around 500 bucks
    Well, let me clarify my situation, because I may be miss-using the word "stealth". I do not need it to be undetectable (I live in WA, so it is legal) I just need it to be visually as unobtrusive as possible. I do not know what RDD means, but I would be interested in any type of remote that would have as small a visible unit as possible that I do not need to mount on my dash or visor.

Thanks again!

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by ethulin
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi666

Well, let me clarify my situation, because I may be miss-using the word "stealth". I do not need it to be undetectable (I live in WA, so it is legal) I just need it to be visually as unobtrusive as possible. I do not know what RDD means, but I would be interested in any type of remote that would have as small a visible unit as possible that I do not need to mount on my dash or visor.

Thanks again!
    RDD = Radar Detector Detector, used by the cops to find Radar Detectors in illegal areas or in semis and other commercial vehicles everywhere

again the remote mount category is very small on its own to stary with, and even the best of um still just a little short of dashmount units almost half the price......... I stick to my assertion, in that you should get a regular unit and hardwire it somewhere out of the way if thats what you want, itll be cheaper, and perform just as well if not better

Old Timer

Yea, just get a dash mounted. There are ways of hiding them. You could stick it in a tissue box on the dash, for example. Or you could put it on the visor, hardwired and in dark mode. These are just some examples.

For under 200 dollars, you could get both of the new Whistlers that came out (Pro-78, XRT-690). There's also the V955 from Bel. You probably could even find an X50 on E-bay for under 200, though I'd be careful with this option.

Ok, where can I get instructions on how to hardwire a dash mounted unit, and what does hardwiring entail exactly?

My one other question is if the whistler pro 3450 is complete crap or not.

Thanks!

Advanced Member

Would be coold if you had a fibrerglass cowl and mounted the RD unit there. You could see it from drivers position.
    <<--- Valentine One v3.861 --->>
    Protecting a Hemi Challenger
    Saves = 200+ -- Pharmacies Detected=9733

Quote Originally Posted by John_in_NC
    Would be coold if you had a fibrerglass cowl and mounted the RD unit there. You could see it from drivers position.
    Uhm, what is a "cowl"?