Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default How much does tint strip really affect laser?

Has anyone done real life tests of how much the typical blue windshield tint, and/or the popular grey rear window tint, really affect laser reception?

Most of the times I hear that it has a significant impact on laser reception, but then again, a few radar dtector manuals (primarily Whistler's manuals) claim that the blue tint strip has no effect.

In addition, most detectors have one of those dark red IR shield things over their laser diodes, so just because something's colored doesn't necessarily mean it blocks laser reception.

Professional

I've never had a problem with my Bel 945 and the tint strip on my Maxima. I love the visor mount and have had it up there for years. Testing with a IR camera shows I pick up the laser right when it's shot.

Power User

Provided that the material used in blue or gray tinting doesn't filter out IR light, I would expect even that the tint strip would be beneficial in reducing random light intensity?

Old Timer

Just the fact that it is up high reduces some of the sun glare. I think that is one of the reasons Mike V recommends a might mount.

Power User

yeah if its high enough to where the tint strip is even a question, then all youre gonna be getting is scatter, and in those small diffuse bits of IR will bounce right off the tint strip

Power User

Ok, answered my own question. On Valentine's site, there's a chart of some cars, tint vs no tint. The answer was, it depends on the car. Some tint strips had no effect, while other tints had a devastating effect.

Radar Fanatic

There isn't much laser around here so until the near distant future laser isn't a concern for me so i keep behind the tint strip.

Power User

Lucky for you, but lately I've been seeing more and more laser in use in Michigan. I'm considering investing in some laser countermeasures, maybe VEIL (as it's the most affordable IMHO)

Experienced

jdong, what part of michigan are you in?

Power User

I live around Rochester, MI, and frequent I-75 and I-94 primarily. Mostly in that region MSP and Troy Police tend to have the most laser sightings, though it is still really rare. You are far far more likely to encounter constant-on K and Ka, which makes any detector worth it to have in MI.