Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Converting older detectors to put out k-band microwave

I have noticed that quite a few of you own older radar detectors that are basically useless to you now. It is quite possible to have a little fun with them still by adjusting the tuning screws inside the radar detector and located on the metal antenna to make the radar detector put out a nice K-band signal. The way to tell if your successful is to use your present radar detector to see when your "adjustments" put out the maximium K-band signal. I have done this on my old whistler x-k band detector but any brand with a gunn diode inside will do. Once you have got it working take it for a ride. If you see a motorist with a detector sitting on his windshield turn it on and see his detector light up! The expressions you will see are priceless. I once took mine for a jaunt thru Mass. on the way to cape cod. A brand new Toyota Landcruiser came flying up on me with a nice new v-1 detector sitting right in the middle of his window. Well I couldn't resist and let him have a dose of instant-on k-band microwaves. I could see his detector light up like a pineball machine and he slowed way way down and I passed him. I turned my detector off and after a little while he was speeding up on me again. Well I let him get ahead of me a bit and did it again! You should have seen him and his passengers craning their heads to see where the radar was coming from.. I did this a few more times with the same result but I had to stop because I was laughing so hard I couldn't watch the road anymore! I bet this V-1 owner sent his brand new V-1 back the next day with a note to Mike Valentine about what a crappy detector it was... :wink:

Well like I said old detector aren't totally a waste if you know how to "adjust" them a bit... 8)

Advanced Member

That's basically the idea behind some of the jammer plans" that you see for sale:

http://home.houston.rr.com/crxtreme/...adarjammer.htm

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    That's basically the idea behind some of the jammer plans" that you see for sale:

http://home.houston.rr.com/crxtreme/...adarjammer.htm

Jim

Yup that's about it but it can be done to any detector with a gunn diode and tuning screws...I saw this site a while ago and it really is a lot easier to do than they make it out to be...

oh you have to make sure you don't unscrew the gun diode which is in the long stem inside the detector antenna apature and also has a a screw on it because if it falls out and you can't figure which way it went back in and you reverse it you will fry it and the detector... ops:

Founder of Stealthvation

Can you sell me one that is modified so I can have some fun?
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by happya$$
    I could think of a couple friends with detectors that would be a good target for one of those. Perhapps hide it behind their seat....

Ya I should go into building and selling these shouldn't I..Actually just look for an old whister radar detector on e-bay. Whistler 225's and 400's make excellent choices. It is a piece of cake to modify them,all you need is a standard screwdriver. The hardest thing is taking the whistler apart and even that is a piece of cake..I even modified mine to have a remote control home-made "instant-on" switch just like police radar's use... 8)

you'll never guess what my next project is..modifing one into an actual moving radar unit...! This is going to take some REAL EFFORT thou... :wink:

Founder of Stealthvation

Can I take an old Cbra (Xband only ) detector and modify it to let me have some fun :twisted:
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Administrator

Default Agree

I have to agree with SmaartAasSaabr on this one, their is enough crap out there that sets off radar detectors.

Also the FCC would not be very happy with you either. But they been chasing around Mike Churchman for years with his crap and nothing solid ever seems to happen...
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Can I take an old Cbra (Xband only ) detector and modify it to let me have some fun :twisted:
    I believe you can as long as as it has a gun diode in it. Jim put a link to cobra detectors here but it is much easier to do a little "hand tuning" without the article ...The trick is to find the right adjusting screws on top of the antenna. Like I said look inside the horn antenna and find the post for the gun diode that runs atraight thru the middle of the antenna and leave that screw alone. The others are the ones you want... :wink: