Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FOX XK

Default FOX XK

I have a ComRadar Corporation Fox XK radar and I am trying to find out how old it might be. Also, would like to know if it might be of value? It has two clear prongs sticking out of one end about 3.5 inches long. Anyone that might be familiar with this type of radar please let me know anything you might have on it. I can provide a picture of it, just let me know and I will email it. It is in good condition. TIA

Eddie

Radar Fanatic

I had one in the early/mid 1980's ('83-'85). It was my first detector.

As far as value, you could use it as a paperweight, or as a piece of modern art :wink:

The longer plastic prong was for X-band, the smaller for K-band.

The detector is pre-superheterodyne, so it would have performance far worse than even the poorest detectors of today.

I do remember the single red led that alerted, and the squelch knob (just like a CB radio.)

J/

Advanced Member

Default Re: FOX XK

Quote Originally Posted by eddie57
    I have a ComRadar Corporation Fox XK radar and I am trying to find out how old it might be. Also, would like to know if it might be of value? It has two clear prongs sticking out of one end about 3.5 inches long. Anyone that might be familiar with this type of radar please let me know anything you might have on it. I can provide a picture of it, just let me know and I will email it. It is in good condition. TIA

Eddie
    This is a very old non-superhetrodyne radar detector from the late 70's/early 80s. It will have very poor sensitivity compared to modern superhetrodyne radar detector, and will also suffer more from out-of-band false alerts.

I definitely wouldn't depend on this type of detector for protection. But it might be cool as a collectible or conversation piece.

Power User

Wow, that looks like it could be used for... umm..... never mind.

Banned

My X wife had one of those. :shock:

Speed Demon

What kind of range would that get?

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies. The one I have is just like the one in the picture but my looks new. I was searching the web and I believe they installed these in the 69 Jaguars. Must be a collectible or just a piece of junk, depends on the person. Like they say, one man's junk is another's treasure.

TA

Radar Fanatic

I remember that model very well.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by computersoc
    What kind of range would that get?
    Back in the day of constant on X-band, this unit gave enough protection not to get a ticket. I can't tell you exactly how far (it's been 20 years) but it saved me too many times to count.

When K band was introduced, I remember literally being on top of the cop before the radar detector went off....

J/

Yoda of Radar

WHOA.

How do those plastic things work?