Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is this enough to protect me from the smokey?

Ok, I am in California, so laser jammers are out.

I purchased an RX65 two years ago, and up until last week, it has helped me avoid many tickets. I received two on one day last week, after not receiving any for 2 years. One was a 81 in a 70 and one was 84 in a 70. The second one the chp said he was using laser, but the detector did not go off!

Anyways, for the past week I have been researching what I can do for the future. I purchased a CB radio and a pair of binoculars. Does the CB actually work for picking up cops? I will only be using it on major highways like I5, 99, and 126 in California. I don't plan to use it in the city.

How well do binoculars work, they have yet to arrive.? Also, is it worth purchasing the veil and laser shield?

Anything else I need? Thanks.

Old Timer

Default CB

The CB is a very effective tool in letting you know what is ahead/behind you on the Interstate/highway system. A police scanner can also help. BTW, to get around the laser jamming law in CA, you would just need a kill switch. Once laser jammer goes off, you shut down the unit so the LEO gets your speed.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a jammer? Also, what is the cheapest, but best option to get. I know you can't skimp on a radar detector, I am guessing it is the same thing with the jammer? Also, does having a kill switch make it legal?

Also, are there any other products that you suggest I purchase?

Newcomer

You hit the jammer kill switch after you slow down to the PSL. It's important to let the LEO get a reading at close to PSL so you don't raise any suspicion.

I had a friend who was 20 mph over the PSL and lazered, he hit the bakes and turned off the blinder jammer and the LEO pulled out and nabbed the guy that was following him.

Adding lazer veil, especially to the headlights and lisense plate helps delay punch through.

My V1 always seems to work when I'm lazered, the V1 supposedly has the best lazer sensitivity of all other detectors.

I love my V1.

So would you suggest upgrading from the RX65 to the Valentine? It seems that with KA I have plenty of room to slow down, but the laser is the one that got me, so does the valentine give you more room?

Power User

No, no radar detector alone is any form of protection against laser... There's been ZERO tests that show a laser detector offering advanced detection via scatter, etc. Banking on that would be unwise.

Professional

If you mostly drive highway (like me), the V1 is the way to go. Check out this V1 highway video video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU0LAzAsGnM

There is a GOL video where the V1 picked up Lidar scatter from ahead, but I dont have the link handy. Check out some other vids here. http://www.guysoflidar.com/videos.html

I wouldnt bet my drivers liscense on ANY radar detector picking up laser far enough in advance to save you. Get a good jammer (one that doubles as a parking sensor ) and rig a kill switch into it. I think the fine for having a jammer is an infraction with no points. its better than getting a speeding ticket.

Speed Demon

You need to look up the law on whether it's illegal to possess a laser jammer. That is, if it's okay for it (or any component of it) to be installed on vehicle. The kill switch may not be enough.

Even the V1 won't save you against laser most of the time. Regardless, you don't say where you got the laser ticket.

Experienced

what are the binos for? last time i used or need them when i traveled out west where the roads were long and straight and the driver could actually use them to look far ahead and drive at the same time.

Professional

Here is the CA law on Laser Jammers.

CALIFORNIA CODES
    VEHICLE CODE
    SECTION 28150

28150. (a) No vehicle shall be equipped with any device that is
    designed for, or is capable of, jamming, scrambling, neutralizing,
    disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other
    electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the
    speed of moving objects.
    (b) No person shall use, buy, possess, manufacture, sell, or
    otherwise distribute any device that is designed for jamming,
    scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with
    radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law
    enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects.
    (c) Except as provided in subdivision (d), a violation of
    subdivision (a) or (b) is an infraction.
    (d) When a person possesses four or more devices in violation of
    subdivision (b), the person is guilty of a misdemeanor.
    (e) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a person who has a
    valid federal license for operating the devices described in this
    section may transport one or more of those devices if the license is
    carried in the vehicle transporting the device at all times when the
    device is being transported.

I wonder if each seperate head counts as a device? having 4 heads could then be construed as a misdemeaner and subject you to arrest. I would think if they are all connected together, it would be one 'device'.