Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The truth about laser and placement

Hey all,

Im new to this whole Radar detectors and I have been trying to read around. From what I have read it is best to place the radar detector in the middle of the windshield not too low, not too high, to get the best of both Radar detector as well as Laser detector..

Also, after reading about many cases of people getting pulled over with Laser as they are shot with the laser and either the RD went off too late or it didnt go off at all.. So this gets me thinking, what does the Laser detector really do? Alert you that you just got made by the LEO with his laser already and really no chance of getting away? The only luck with laser is if the LEO was gunning people down and RD picked up some reflections that can alert you in time to be able to slow down.. Am I right with this? (this probably could be the same with Pop and instant on? right?)

Next, after thinking about the above scenario, I somewhat concluded that maybe placing the RD higher will be the best way since this will increase the chance of detecting the radars x, k, ka, etc bands.. Those that actually can be detected far away that gives enough time to slow down..

Also another question would be, Other than V1, no other detectors are actually front AND rear D.. So why need to make sure that the detector have clear view of the Rear View? Wouldnt placing the detector high up the windshield to produce a stealth mode look, so that the LEO wont see it and increase your chances of getting away with a warning? God knows that if a LEO finds you with a RD and you got pulled over, its a guarantee ticket!!..

Discuss..

Power User

Default Re: The truth about laser and placement

Quote Originally Posted by eminent
    Also, after reading about many cases of people getting pulled over with Laser as they are shot with the laser and either the RD went off too late or it didnt go off at all.. So this gets me thinking, what does the Laser detector really do? Alert you that you just got made by the LEO with his laser already and really no chance of getting away? The only luck with laser is if the LEO was gunning people down and RD picked up some reflections that can alert you in time to be able to slow down.. Am I right with this? (this probably could be the same with Pop and instant on? right?)
    The main theories of laser detection are either:

(A) The officer fails to obtain a reading on the first direct hit, giving you time to react.
    (B) You have some sort of passive countermeasure that makes it more difficult to obtain a lock.
    (C) You catch laser scatter from the guy in front of you being shot.
    (D) The officer wobbles the gun while aiming, and that scatter sets off your detector.

Take your pick. C and D are easier to do on high-mounts, A and B believers should use low-mount.
    Next, after thinking about the above scenario, I somewhat concluded that maybe placing the RD higher will be the best way since this will increase the chance of detecting the radars x, k, ka, etc bands.. Those that actually can be detected far away that gives enough time to slow down..
    The difference with radar detection between your highest and lowest mount points is NOT significant enough to cause you to miss an alert.
    Also another question would be, Other than V1, no other detectors are actually front AND rear D.. So why need to make sure that the detector have clear view of the Rear View? Wouldnt placing the detector high up the windshield to produce a stealth mode look, so that the LEO wont see it and increase your chances of getting away with a warning? God knows that if a LEO finds you with a RD and you got pulled over, its a guarantee ticket!!..

Discuss..
    Every detector can pick up radar from the rear because radar signals spread and reflect significantly. It's better to have some line-of-sight of the rear both for htis, and for picking up rear laser hits. I've had two cases where officers shot laser from the rear, and my mid-mounted detector was able to pick it up.

And I personally don't believe in the begging the officer for mercy thing. I'd rather trust picking up laser scatter than getting off with a warning.

Stealthcb

IMHO, high-mount is the best. NEVER count on an RD to save you from a LIDAR hit. They get their speed readings WAY too fast. By the time you get an alert, you're usually fried. Mounting high, in my experience, does extend the detection range quite a bit, and allows some pickup of laser scatter from other vehicles. I've had a save this way, and wouldn't mount low unless I Had no choice. Just MHO.

B) You have some sort of passive countermeasure that makes it more difficult to obtain a lock.
    were you talking about laser jammers?

(A) The officer fails to obtain a reading on the first direct hit, giving you time to react.
    How often/ what do you think is the probability of the LEO failing to obtain a reading on the first direct hit? Im not familiar with lasers but exactly what is the difficulty of it, and how often does the lidar fail? Im not trying to prove anything, im really asking how it is.. Is it Rarely fail? Sometimes fail? 50/50 fail?

I've had two cases where officers shot laser from the rear, and my mid-mounted detector was able to pick it up.
    Now, if the laser was shot by the officer from the rear, doesnt it mean that the officer already have your speed? As far as I thought, Lasers doesnt take long to process after LEO guns it.. wouldnt it be too late for you to slow down? since LEO got your speed already, and would pull you over because of it?? and not because you slowed down after the RD alerts??

Now if there was a RD that detects adrenaline from LEOs who just loves to pull people over, that would be priceless..

Power User

passive Jamming is Veil or similar things that go over the surfaces and makes reflections harder............. jammers are Active jamming and dont depend on the RD at all in most cases.......... it will have its own recievers and own autonomous brain

Good Citizen

Well for years I always had my RD mounted high, just under the RVM. A couple of years ago I was pulled over for doing 63 in a 45. I went through a wolf pack speed trap where a cop is taking the readings, and cruisers are lined up as offenders are identified. As I went through this trap my 8500 never went off. As a matter of fact as I saw the LEO coming up behind me, I was sure he wasn't after me as the 8500 remained silent. I was wrong.

I didn't ask him how he clocked me as I didn't want to push it since he gave me a break my issuing a ticket for having a license plate cover and a warning for speeding. He told me the ticket for the plate cover would get dismissed. THis way he could give me the ticket (his supervisor was the one clocking people), and I would get let go when I went to court.

Still stumped at the one and only time my 8500 ever let me down, a LEO friend told me that I was probably hit with LIDAR (This town does have a LIDAR gun). He told me that a cop with a steady hand can aim the beam low enough at your plate as to not allow any scatter to hit your RD, especially if it's mounted high. He went on to say that he's tested it with others and he guarantees that he can obtain a reading an keep any RD from alerting.

Finally he said that mounting it low will give you the best chance of getting a LIDAR alert, not that it'll do you much good unless you have some countermeasures. Whatever losses in radar detecting distance is minimal since most of your higher end RDs have more than adequate range as it is.

THoughts?

Advanced Member

the best experience I had operating a laser gun was i shot an SUV at 2000ft the nose dips hard and I got their speed at 80mph in a 55.

I look at the car as it passed and it had a radar detector. He wasn't saved at all by his detector I got his speed instantly!

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by eminent
    B) You have some sort of passive countermeasure that makes it more difficult to obtain a lock.
    were you talking about laser jammers?
    Nope, this is a reference to VEIL, LaserShield, and other techniques intended to make the vehicle's surfaces less reflective. It's been shown that such passive methods can reduce punchthrough to as little as 500ft, from the usual 1500-2000ft.

How often/ what do you think is the probability of the LEO failing to obtain a reading on the first direct hit? Im not familiar with lasers but exactly what is the difficulty of it, and how often does the lidar fail? Im not trying to prove anything, im really asking how it is.. Is it Rarely fail? Sometimes fail? 50/50 fail?
    To be honest I doubt this happens much, unless the officer's shot was really unstable to begin with. So, Rarely Fail.

I've had two cases where officers shot laser from the rear, and my mid-mounted detector was able to pick it up.
    Now, if the laser was shot by the officer from the rear, doesnt it mean that the officer already have your speed? As far as I thought, Lasers doesnt take long to process after LEO guns it.. wouldnt it be too late for you to slow down? since LEO got your speed already, and would pull you over because of it?? and not because you slowed down after the RD alerts??

Now if there was a RD that detects adrenaline from LEOs who just loves to pull people over, that would be priceless..
    In this case, I suspect the officer got the reading already. My vehicle doesn't have any laser countermeasures (passive or active).

Stealthcb

Quote Originally Posted by GoHawks63
    Finally he said that mounting it low will give you the best chance of getting a LIDAR alert, not that it'll do you much good unless you have some countermeasures. Whatever losses in radar detecting distance is minimal since most of your higher end RDs have more than adequate range as it is.

THoughts?
    I don't find the radar gains minimal when mounting high. I notice quite a difference, but I drive a relatively low-to-the-ground car. In a truck or SUV, probably not as important.

And I still get dependable laser alerts with it under my RVM.

Nope, this is a reference to VEIL, LaserShield, and other techniques intended to make the vehicle's surfaces less reflective. It's been shown that such passive methods can reduce punchthrough to as little as 500ft, from the usual 1500-2000ft.
    Exactly what is Viel? or what is countermeasure? Is this a feature that an RD may have? Like a "force field" around a car to deflect lasers? LOL.. At least 2 people have said Viel as a "countermeasure" or passive methods that will reduce "punchthrough".. Does this mean that countermeasure/viel will be able to slow down the laser from hitting the car therefore a slower reading? LOL