Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default I was hit at the last second

I was hit at the last second by radar. I was heading southbound and the IN state trooper was heading North bound. I had a few cars in front of me then about the time that he got to pass me going the other way my X50 went off. It happened so quick that I did not even get to see the band that he hit me with.

I have seen the same trooper before and my detector did not go off at all. Obviously he was not running radar at that time. What I am worried about is that he will get me sometime in passing.

I usually make sure that cars are up ahead to make sure that he will pick them up first and then in turn my radar will pick him up.

Could it be a problem with my X50? It is brand new.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Radar Fanatic

He was using " Instant On " .

What is instant-on?

Instant-On is a term used to describe a particular method of operating radar that can be used to defeat radar detectors:

The officer puts the radar gun in "standby" or "hold" mode where it is on and ready, but not transmitting any radar. When he visually identifies a vehicle that he suspects is speeding, he switches the radar unit to "transmit" mode and targets the vehicle to obtain a speed-reading. If he chooses, he can then switch the unit back to "standby" or "hold".

Here are a couple of ways to defend against instant-on:

1. Choose a very sensitive radar detector, so that when traffic ahead is targeted with instant-on, you'll get a warning alert before it is "your turn".

2. Never stand out in a crowd, or you'll be the one he chooses to target. Try to follow behind someone else who is going the same speed as you are, maybe 1/4 mile behind him. That way, if you encounter radar, he'll get hit with instant-on, and you'll get an alert on your detector telling you to slow down.

Old Timer

He was probably being really selective on who he shoots.

Power User

Yeah, instant on can be really deadly. You can reduce your risk of getting nailed instant on by using a rabbit, but that's not failproof

Experienced

you should have seen him before he got that close to instant on. you don't have to totally depend on your radar detector, you can look ahead and see the cop on the other side of the freeway approaching you and slow down before he has a chance to activate his radar gun. so in fact, if he wants to wait that long to allow other cars in front of you to clear out, better for you.

Speedtrap Crasher

Default Re: I was hit at the last second

Quote Originally Posted by Armour
    I was hit at the last second by radar. I was heading southbound and the IN state trooper was heading North bound. I had a few cars in front of me then about the time that he got to pass me going the other way my X50 went off. It happened so quick that I did not even get to see the band that he hit me with.
    If I'm reading this right it sounds like you picked up the hit when the patrol car was passing you. I would think he was probably shooting a car behind you.

Coming back from SA once I was full throttle up an entrance ramp. Got a Ka strike and figured I was toast. The DPS trooper dove through the median and pulled over a car way back behind me on the interstate. The X50 is very good on off axis detection.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Experienced

Instant on is just as bad a laser.

Power User

Actually today going to work there is always a cop sitting on a low area in the middle of the highway, I was flashed by an on coming car to alert me, but I typically know he will be there anyway. As I was heading to the cop's site I slowed done to the PSL, there was a car in front of me about 500 feet or so, I figured he would clock him first, but he didn't as I approached he clocked me instead maybe because I have a red car, who knows. I was already down to the PSL anyway no worries. Cops are selective when triggering IO.

Newcomer

He could have been clocking the car behind I am not sure. As he was getting ready to a pass by it went off. I had many cars in front of me.
    Fortunatly I had the cars in front of me because that it is why I was not speeding because I couldnt. I just could not figure out why it did not pick them up or give me warning before hand and now I understand why.

I did not realize that they used instant on that much when they were moving.

Well thanks again for the help. I will try to have a better look out not for this type of thing.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by BossMan4Life
    Instant on is just as bad a laser.
    No man, I would go as far as saying it's the deadliest ambush encounter possible.

With laser, you still can have things working in your favor:

(1) Active/Passive countermeasures
    (2) Poor/shaky aim by the officer delays lockon

With radar, once he flips that switch nothing in the world can save you (legally)