Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default Looking for a specific older model detector

I am trying to find an older model detector that I had some years ago, and in my opinion, has outperformed all others Ive used. I do not have the money for anything over $150, although i would love one, but in that price range this has been the only model Ive found to be reliable and I want another one, it was stolen from me a while back. The model in question is a LRD6299 or LRD6399 by Uniden. I just missed an ebay auction for a LRD6399 and have been searching for one since. Not alot of availablility anymore, they've been off the market for many years, but this being a radar/detector forum, I was hoping someone might have one or know someone that has one that I could purchase in good working condition. If not, no worries I will continue my quest.

Im making a trip to Circuit City tomorrow to look at GPS units, they have detectors there as well, of the ones they had, the Bel 955 looked to be in my price range $180 (because i have a credit card there), any thoughts on that, the majority of what Ive read on this detector is very mixed.

Lead Foot

Default Re: Looking for a specific older model detector

Quote Originally Posted by Paperlantern
    I am trying to find an older model detector that I had some years ago, and in my opinion, has outperformed all others Ive used. I do not have the money for anything over $150, although i would love one, but in that price range this has been the only model Ive found to be reliable and I want another one, it was stolen from me a while back. The model in question is a LRD6299 or LRD6399 by Uniden. I just missed an ebay auction for a LRD6399 and have been searching for one since. Not alot of availablility anymore, they've been off the market for many years, but this being a radar/detector forum, I was hoping someone might have one or know someone that has one that I could purchase in good working condition. If not, no worries I will continue my quest.

Im making a trip to Circuit City tomorrow to look at GPS units, they have detectors there as well, of the ones they had, the Bel 955 looked to be in my price range $180 (because i have a credit card there), any thoughts on that, the majority of what Ive read on this detector is very mixed.
    I'd suggest looking for a Whistler Pro-78...you can find them for the price range you're aiming at if you know where to look...check your pm

Speed Demon

Im going to try the Beltronics, Circuit City will take it back if i want to return it within 14 days for a 14% restock fee, I figure if its THAT horrible I'll chalk it up to experience, and I'll jsut work that much harder to find my die hard Uniden I want. I will post back with results of what i find.

Yoda of Radar

It'll probably be funny. My expectation would be that the 955 would absolutely completely blow the Uniden out of the water and that would be assuming the Uniden had a 500 kg weight attached to it

Good Citizen

I'm interested in what you choose and how well it works. I tested out a Bel Express 795. I got a junk one and returned it ( I guess some work great). Once for continuous K and once for continuous WKa I could easily see the LEO less than 1/4 a mile away before I got one beep that slowly grew. I was practically on top of him buy the time it reached full strength. My old Uniden 2100 still picked him before I could see him and was at a solid 3 by 1/4 mile.

Speed Demon

See thats what I'm saying, I have had NOTHING but SPECTACULAR experience with those old Unidens. The 6299SWS and 6399SWS we always nothing short of STELLAR. Of course there is no bogey counter, or directional arrow like the V1 or all that, but it was always accurate, and gave PLENTY of warning. I cant complain about the little guy Ive got now either, it seems to perform the same as the one Im looking for, I jsut liked the readout better on the 6X99's.

I decided not to get the Bel today, not because I didnt want to try it, but because Circuit City is a horrible establishment, and can't get thier sh*t together. I will continue to look for my dimanond in the rough, but I am actively in the market for a new detector. This whole thing was prompted by the fact that we have 2 cars now, and the wife wants a detector too. Shes had too many close calls, and would like the added comfort of a detector.

But I don't see the Bel absolutely ANNIHILATING the Uniden, the little LRD937 has saved my rear on many occasions, tho I would expect itt o outperform it at least by a decent margine, considering the Uniden was a $40 budget unit, and the Bel is $180. But we may never find out, but Im not done shopping yet.

Good Citizen

I agree, but I have heard there were some Unidens that were not as sensitive. There is a 6100 on ebay right now, but there are also some testing videos on YouTube with the 6100 compared to a Bel 925, Cobra, and a V1 to a K band signal. The 6100 was the worst. My eyeball says my 2100 would have picked it up sooner, but there there was one band of K that mine was less sensitive, especially over a hill or around a corner, but those were mainly on speed survey units.

You may also be interested in this post too.

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=18135

Speed Demon

Yes, I did see those 6100 videos on YouTube actually. I wasnt impressed by them either, but my old 6299 that I had from 1997 - 2002 would of blown that away, that detector saved me over $2000 in tickets, guaranteed, maybe more, I commuted to class when I went to college 32 miles one way every day. I got the LRD6399 SWS after my 6299 was stolen in 2002.

It was tough to find one, and the one I did find was on ebay, and had an LED that didnt work, thankfully it was a trivial one, and didnt make a difference. That one saved my rear a few times before I lost it again in yet ANOTHER theft in 2004. I was detectorless for almost a year, before my brother (still a proud owner of a LRD6399SWS that I am insanely jealous of) sent me his spare LRD937 that he picked up as a spare for his second car. He got rid of the car and offered it to me since he wasnt using it, I said heck why not, it HAS to be better then no detector at all. And while I dont like the look of it as good as the 6X99 series, or like the LED display, as its very simple, and does not have a intensity meter, but it still performs the same, and the beep tones were the same familiar ones, so i didnt even have to look at it to know what band I was getting. Its been a great little unit.

Radar Fanatic

The 6299 was OK especially on K band, not so great on Ka band. I am not familiar with the 6399. The ones after that were much less sensitive and I would not trust them. If there is any possibility of encountering instant on Ka band radar, I would not want to rely on any Uniden.

GTO_04

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04
    If there is any possibility of encountering instant on Ka band radar, I would not want to rely on any Uniden.

GTO_04
    "Not rely on" because of Ka falsing or sensitivity? Mine falsed often enough on Ka that if I was a regular speeder, I would find it annoying, however I thought it was very sensitive. On a few occasions, I picked up IO Ka because of the way it beeped, stopped and beeped again. The 2100 was only Wideband Ka and I heard some later models that had Super Wideband Ka were less sensitive in the Ka band because of the larger sweep or redesign of the electronics.