Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 3000 mile road trip

Leaving Friday morning, flying to la and driving all the way back to Boston. Will be taking a V1 v 3.812, laser veil and a uniden bct 12. Vehicle will be a modded mitsu lancer evo 8. will be going from LA to vegas, to Denver to Cleveland to Boston. I am going to take a notebook and keep track of Leo sightings and encounters...and hopefully a lot of saves. I am very familiar with the drive from Cleveland to Boston but not so much about the far west leg of the trip. anyone have advice on Leos in Nevada, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa or Indiana? What to expect as far as enforcement bands..tricky spots? Any truck drivers have advice? Ill be on 15N, 70E, 80E and 90E for the most part.

Thanks for you help, and ill keep you guys posted on status of the trip via lap top!

Experienced

Good luck with your drive.... IOWA to IL will be fun.

Stealthcb

Default Re: 3000 mile road trip

Quote Originally Posted by McArcane
    Leaving Friday morning, flying to la and driving all the way back to Boston. Will be taking a V1 v 3.812, laser veil and a uniden bct 12. Vehicle will be a modded mitsu lancer evo 8. will be going from LA to vegas, to Denver to Cleveland to Boston. I am going to take a notebook and keep track of Leo sightings and encounters...and hopefully a lot of saves. I am very familiar with the drive from Cleveland to Boston but not so much about the far west leg of the trip. anyone have advice on Leos in Nevada, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa or Indiana? What to expect as far as enforcement bands..tricky spots? Any truck drivers have advice? Ill be on 15N, 70E, 80E and 90E for the most part.

Thanks for you help, and ill keep you guys posted on status of the trip via lap top!
    Take a voice recorder instead of the notebook. Much safer to talk about the encounter than try to write while you're driving.

Good luck!

Speed Demon

VERY good idea on the voice recorder imo. I have driven 90 E/W from ohio to MA at least a dozen times as well, always with a RD, countless saves there, im sure you know the NY State Thruway cops are ruthless. Got a ticket once for 5 over, 70 in a 65. It was over a hill so the RD didn't alert till i got blasted, but I wasnt worried when it did because i had my cruise set to 68sih, so i didnt even panic when i saw the cop (boy was i wrong, i shoulda stood on the brakes). However, my car at the time was a 1989 Camry (this was maybe circa 2000, or 2001), and the cruise wasn't great, it takes a second for it to react to grade changes in the road, and as i crested the hill it accelerated past 68 to 70 then immediately back to 68, he pegged me RIGHT as i hit 70. i still thought oh we should be ok, its only 5 over... nope, jackass waved me to the side. He was a complete prick too, the whole time, even made comments like, speed limits 65, not 70 son... pissed me right off. i was gonna fight it but i woulda had a court appearance 8 hours away, i just paid it. :roll:

Good Citizen

damn sorry to hear about your ticket on 90...i do that trip very frequently and have had very good luck with the ny state troopers. They seem to use ka for the most part and i generally get a pretty good warning. Usually i do the same thing and cruise by them at 70, leo must have been having a bad day when he got you....oh and as far as the voice recorder..im doing the trip with my buddy, i wasnt planning on typing on rd.net while driving...im not that dedicated haha

Lead Foot

Hello,

Iowa, Indiana and Illinois can be hit or miss. I've had great luck on not seeing any LEO's then other times they are every where. Make sure you have a couple of rabbits in front and watch the sky at times for airplanes. If you have a scanner, use 42.5 for airplane to chase car in Illinois. (till they move to that crappy 700/800 mhz digital system)

Have a good trip and be safe,

Spin

Good Citizen

He was a complete prick too, the whole time, even made comments like, speed limits 65, not 70 son...
    The bast*rd probably speeds constantly with a RD off duty.

Newcomer

cali cops near the nevada boarder are ruthless. they also have air planes catching speedsters so your detectors may not be too useful if you get caught by a plane. nevada cops are abundant throughout, but surprisingly not around the vegas area.

Newcomer

hey-

I just drove from NH to AZ. it was 3000 miles. It was nuts. took 5 days.

NH>NY = watch out for troopers on the Massachusetts Turnpike. also basically don't speed at all anywhere in New York. I was going with the flow of traffic, and encountered MULTIPLE radar traps (some around corners where it was nice to have the radar detector) and also 2 LASER traps. my X50 immediately alerted me to both the radar and laser hits.

NY>IL = not too too much activity really. a couple random cops driving with radar on in Ohio. but there was a cop outside of Chicago with a LASER trap on a freeway around a curve. scared the sh*t out of me when my r.d. alerted me.

IL>NE = BORING. NO COP SIGHTINGS AT ALL.

NE>CO = also boring, only a couple police radar hits randomly outside of Denver.

CO>AZ = very boring. maybe 1-2 radar hits near Albuquerque, NM and a couple random ones near Flagstaff, AZ.

bring something to read or to do for the drive. the midwest's flat and straight roads + the high amount of truckers makes the drive crappy. I think I only spent something like $300 on gas - not that bad I guess. good luck.