Good Citizen

Default STi mount FINISHED!! - custom mute button cord (pics)

As some know, I have been back and forth between mounting inside headliner, mounting on top of RVM (using velcro), mounting inside of a Case Logic CD holder or mount it using the visor clip.

I opted to go for the suction mount at the very top of the windshield. The RD is held firm by the cups but also by the base of the headliner. Very sturdy!!

BEL made me a custom length cord so that I could extend my mute button somewhere at or below the dash. I opted to hardwire the RD and then run the cords down the A-pillar, down the outside left piece of my dash, back up inside of a drop down tray and fastened via velcro around my left knee. I had it initially ran down and popping out of the A-pillar right where the dash meets the A-pillar but then realized that a LEO would see it if he came walking up to my car. That is when I went low.

The cd case idea was good in theory but it had a tendency to point the RD down about 10-15 degrees. The visor clip didnt allow any use of the visor. The headliner install was by far the most stealth but I could SEE any of the alerts. Huge disadvantage. Too much heat as well.

Here are some pics. Only decision I have to make now is do I want to use regular velcro to keep the mute button attached to the footwell area or to use that teeth (velcro-like) stuff that you use to attach the EZPass things to windshields. Pics attached using both methods....I'd love to hear from someone about any other suggested ways to secure the mute button to the footwell section, other than velcro (just wish it was more flush).

Any comments or suggestions on my overall install?

Speed Demon

Default Stealth plus Sleight of hand...

Nice installation, Yahtzee.

One thing I'd suggest is keeping your registration atop the visor, so that if pulled over, flipping the visor down, even at night, is entirely not suspicious...because you're retrieving your registration. In so doing, it better obscures the detector from smokey the bear.

Regarding the remote switch, I wonder if you might move it closer to hand. Is there a consule from which your gear shifter emerges, where it would be less of a reach, and even better hidden from view?

FWIW

Good Citizen

Default Re: Stealth plus Sleight of hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc What, son?
    Nice installation, Yahtzee.

One thing I'd suggest is keeping your registration atop the visor, so that if pulled over, flipping the visor down, even at night, is entirely not suspicious...because you're retrieving your registration. In so doing, it better obscures the detector from smokey the bear.

Regarding the remote switch, I wonder if you might move it closer to hand. Is there a consule from which your gear shifter emerges, where it would be less of a reach, and even better hidden from view?

FWIW
    Perfect idea for my registration...thanks.

I wanted to get it over to the left side of my gearshift but couldn't pass it through that drop down tray because it wouldn't come undone on the right side of my footwell. I may run it by an audio install place tomorrow or even the dealership to see how to get that section unpieced. Thanks.

Scratonicity Groupie

this may be counter productive but do a search for this on eBay.

beltronics mute

it comes with a mini independent mute switch that you could easily just attach to your stalk, or place anywhere. it would be very stealth

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by thestaton

beltronics mute

it comes with a mini independent mute switch that you could easily just attach to your stalk, or place anywhere. it would be very stealth

Found it, thanks...About to buy it but had a thought. Wonder how important the alert/power indicator is on the stock mute button. That would be my only concern. What do you think?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by yahtzee
    The cd case idea was good in theory but it had a tendency to point the RD down about 10-15 degrees. The visor clip didn't allow any use of the visor.
    Yahtzee,
    I had the same issue when I was deciding whether or not to go
    with a suction cup or visor clip install. My sun visors have a tilt
    to them that tilts them a little sideways as well as aims the detector
    at the hood of the car. I ended up doing a suction cup install
    to get the detector straight and level.......

Your setup looks very professional,
    Very Nice Install !!!!

Scratonicity Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by yahtzee

beltronics mute

Found it, thanks...About to buy it but had a thought. Wonder how important the alert/power indicator is on the stock mute button. That would be my only concern. What do you think?
    not an issue at all. you can run a Bel with a V1 power cord, or you can even buy a Bel power cord without the 2 lights

Good Citizen

not an issue at all. you can run a Bel with a V1 power cord, or you can even buy a Bel power cord without the 2 lights
    I know it will work but I was curious if it was that much better to have lights as an indicator (when loud music is playing, etc)

Professional

Default mount

i think personally the remote mount is way too low. eyes have to look way down to see it visually.

Professional

Where you STI sits looks good to me just make sure as usual that it level from fornt to back and left to right and it's all good.I dunno personally if i would mount my remote mount that low unless you have real a real good viewing field.In the Milan i had my remote mounted to the right of the steering wheel right infront of the gauge cluster but at the front edge not pushed back against the gauge glass.Since i added the LP905,i lost my remote mount and now have the plain black mute button mounted to the face of the dash by the key switch.When we go to press it,it's like we're turning down the volume on the radio.