Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default What's THIS traffic radar system?

I'd mentioned before that I never get any kind of alerts from the local traffic flow radar signals. It appears they pulse every 30 seconds and use something called the MIST system. Anyone have any more info?

http://www.dotd.state.la.us/press/tr.../its_about.asp

Advanced Member

They're X-Band, and also FMCW:
    http://www.rtms-by-eis.com/rtms_principles.html

Most likely filtered out by the "delay filtering" for X-Band in the detectors, which requires that a signal be constant for a certain duration of time in order to trigger an alert.

Good Citizen

I believe these are only for traffic flow information. This information is fed to the DOTD. If there is a significant change in speed (such as an accident) they will be alerted to check the cameras, or maybe send a LEO or DOTD vehicle for recon. The system can also be used to set the flow of traffic merging on to a Highway if they state has metered entrance ramps. Often the traffic flow information is fed real time to a web site(s) so you can check traffic conditions before you leave.

These are a good thing.

http://www.telvent-farradyne.com/ser...al_systems.pdf

Speed Demon

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I knew they were only traffic monitoring. It's just I and a couple other folks had speculated back and forth over what they were exactly in a couple of other threads. Yeah, they are great b/c they are linked to the dynamic message boards and give updated congestion info.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    They're X-Band, and also FMCW:
    http://www.rtms-by-eis.com/rtms_principles.html

Most likely filtered out by the "delay filtering" for X-Band in the detectors, which requires that a signal be constant for a certain duration of time in order to trigger an alert.
    There is one of these on Highway 6 in College Station, Texas. (Texas A&M University). I pass everytime i drive home and it emits (K-band). If i have time the next time i drive by it i will take some pics. My V1 although only alerts about .3miles away.

Good Citizen

If you've read some of my other threads, you will see that I believe to be dealing with this running Ka band in the southeast michigan area (699 w at bermuda through woodward) as well as bursts of K band in other areas of the same freeway. Mainly between dequindre and southfield for you Michigan guys. Jim, have you any idea what this is? I suspect it is the Michigan DOT "intelligent traffic system" but don't know exactly what and it's driving me crazy.

- Joey

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by joey_corleone
    If you've read some of my other threads, you will see that I believe to be dealing with this running Ka band in the southeast michigan area (699 w at bermuda through woodward) as well as bursts of K band in other areas of the same freeway. Mainly between dequindre and southfield for you Michigan guys. Jim, have you any idea what this is? I suspect it is the Michigan DOT "intelligent traffic system" but don't know exactly what and it's driving me crazy.

- Joey
    I've seen equipment on posts that alerted K-band. I don't remember exactly where, but it might have been on 275. I don't make it out that way too often, so I pretty much just ignored it.

But the next time I'm on 696, I'll try and check the areas where you guys are reporting alerts. If they really used Ka for this, it would be a bit surprising. If you guys go out and investigate, be sure to get pics.

Administrator

Here is some info: http://www.eng.hawaii.edu/~panos/Rtms.pdf

Unlike sensors which use the Doppler effect, this sensor
    continuously modulates the transmitted frequency and can therefore detect stationary objects.
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Good Citizen

I see these on state route 81 around syracuse. get no radar alert. Sometimes I get a instant on X alert when i go by one. This only happens with the one not the others.

Good Citizen

Hampton Roads, Va has maybe 200 of these in operation along I-64, 264 and 664. The monitor the flow of traffic. Also these I have seen these setup in Construction areas to sensor vehicles at traffic lights here in Va and in my Travels in Orlando, FL. They do, at least the ones Ive encountered, emit X band.

Also they trigger the Whistlers Ka if you are filtering/eliminate X band.