Default University parking tag - effect on Rd?

I have a university parking tag that's made of opaque plastic. My question is, will there be any effect on RD range the horn's view is slightly obstructed on the right side. The left side of the horn has a clear view of the road, but is slightly blocked on the right. I'll try to get pictures later. Just wondering if this will have any effect.

Speed Demon

I cant say for sure, but I would wager that it would have SOME effect, metal effects radar mostly, but it cant be GOOD to have it there either. Its a parking pass though right? Id say move the pass while driving and put it up when you park, you dont need the RD when youre parked. Or find a different place to hang the pass, or the detector? Id remove it to drive, or find a different place for it.

Default Re: University parking tag - effect on Rd?

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonk
    I have a university parking tag that's made of opaque plastic. My question is, will there be any effect on RD range the horn's view is slightly obstructed on the right side. The left side of the horn has a clear view of the road, but is slightly blocked on the right. I'll try to get pictures later. Just wondering if this will have any effect.
    If its just printed plastic with non-metallic inks and has no metal and no magnetic strip in it, then it shouldn't affect your RD range at all. Well, actually up to a few percent of incident radar could be reflected by the plastic depending on its angle to the incident radar -- but you would never notice that in the real world since it is well under a 1dB loss of transmittance through the plastic.

I'll try to post pictures later today. The problem with moving my RD mount is that if I use my visor, it'll come close to hitting the detector (or hit it) since I mount it the highest possible.

Speed Demon

If anything, get a suction cupped tag holder and mount it away from your RD.

Professional

It may or may not have an effect--I like to have nothing inbetween my V-1 and a clear windshield---I want nothing in the way not even a bug splat :shock:

Good Citizen

just move the pass college parking people never check that **** my parking pass is supposed to be in the rear drivers side meanwhile its on the windscreen on the passenger side because of my tints in the back (meanwhile who thinks its bright to print a pass in dark brown and put it on a window most people have tinted) no problem plus if you get towed you have the argument that you had your parking pass up.