Good Citizen

Default Police Radar Equipment Info

Just curious if anyone knows much about police radar equipment ...like actually rode with an officer. Also what there Radar range is like with instant on and constant on until they can lock on to your speed. I always thought they have to be able to identify the make and model of your car before they shoot you with radar or start to go after you. Thanks

Most of the stuff they use is usually stalker or MPH Industries I think :roll:

Radar Fanatic

Jimbonzzz is the guy to ask.

Advanced Member

What exactly do you want to know?
    The range of police radar would be 1/4 mile to even a few miles, depending on the model and band of gun, the vehicle being targeted, etc. Legally, they are supposed to get a tracking history, but it is possible that some officers would ignore this requirement and ticket you anyway.

Jim

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    What exactly do you want to know?
    The range of police radar would be 1/4 mile to even a few miles, depending on the model and band of gun, the vehicle being targeted, etc. Legally, they are supposed to get a tracking history, but it is possible that some officers would ignore this requirement and ticket you anyway.

Jim
    Well I was just kinda curious mainly about instant on radar...like I have heard you have to be closer to your target car before you hit someone with instant on...as opposed to having constant on... I had a policeman today shoot me with instant on...waited just a little of time (after the car in front of me passed by him until he shot me... Kinda cool my x50 which is on expertmeter mode got a x signal for about 1.5 to 2 seconds before it went to a full Ka alert because the officer was only .5 miles when he started shooting people. (Showed the X before Ka about 4 times until me and the officer met... then I got shot... Plenty of time to slow down I guess that X signal is when he pushes the button it gets all the Ka radar power ready to go. This X before Ka has happened a few times.

Professional

I have limited experience with a single radar unit, a MPH K55 k band unit.

If it's in standby mode when stationary, it doesn't send any signal out until you cut the front or rear antenna on. In less than a second if there's a target within range, a speed will display.

From .0-.3 of a mile (0-1600 ft) pretty much anything clocks right away. From .4-.5 of a mile (2100-2600 ft) it may take a second or two, depending on type of vehicle and the strength of the radar reflection. Motorcycles and some cars like Vettes and Satruns seem to need to be closer before they will get a reading. Large vans, SUV's, and trucks are easier to read, sometimes a mile away.

Constant on seems to get a reading on the farther out targets just a little quicker than instant on, but inside .4 I don't think there's a noticeable delay.

Newer units using DSP should be better than this.

Ed