Newcomer

Default Weird mounting questions

I have a few mounting questions. I've searched and searched on this forum, GOL, and google, but have yet to find a straight forward answer.

1. The way my vehicle's windshield is designed, when I place the suction cups/mounting bracket for my Bel v955 on the windshield, and slide the detector onto the mounting bracket so that it is as level as possible, the front of the detector is actually on the windshield, as in, physically touching the windshield. (I'm aware that was one hell of a run-on sentence.) Is this a bad thing, and if so, what can I do to remedy the situation?

2. The mounting bracket that I was provided with from Bel seems to be bent sideways slightly. Not by much, but its noticeable. How can I tell if my detector is sitting crooked? Is there some sort of method you guys use to get your detectors as level as possible?

Thanks for any help!

Speedtrap Crasher

It will still work fine. You might want to keep it lower on the windshield so it's out of your blue tint and more in your line of sight.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by erickonphoenix
    It will still work fine. You might want to keep it lower on the windshield so it's out of your blue tint and more in your line of sight.
    Thanks for your input.

Currently I have it mounted in the middle of the windshield. I wanted to keep it out of the tint strip, but my car also has a pretty massive hoodscoop....so I wanted to keep it above that. The middle just seemed like a good point.

I was just concerned with the unit physically touching the windshield, and it not sitting "perfectly" level.

Speed Demon

I'm not positive, but I think that's how the detectors are designed to be mounted. In order to get it level it is designed to touch the windshield to adjust the angle properly. Some even have a rubber strip on the top front part of the detector to cusion it and to provide grip. It's just the very top of the front part touching the windshield right?

As for the bent sideways... I find it's best to look at it from the front of your car... it seems easier to me to see if it's facing forward.

I'm not quite sure which sideways you're talking about... but if it's the other kind then you could just use a leveler.

Hope that helps.

Experienced

The bracket is quite malleable. Bend it the bracket until the detector is level and not touching the windshield. Another alternative would be using a visor mount. You can purchase that directly from Beltronics.

Professional

My RX65 came with these lil round cushion tabs to place on the windshield.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by TQUILL
    I'm not positive, but I think that's how the detectors are designed to be mounted. In order to get it level it is designed to touch the windshield to adjust the angle properly. Some even have a rubber strip on the top front part of the detector to cusion it and to provide grip. It's just the very top of the front part touching the windshield right?
    +1 , it is supposed to touch your windshield, it acts as a pivot point to get it leval with one of the 3/4 notches.

yea, my rx55 came with 4 little sticky rubber cushion things that i put on the bottom of it so when i set it down it wouldnt slide around. my 955 came with none. i guess you could put something between the windshield/detector if you realy wanted like mrcllusb said

Newcomer

Will having a detector in the blue tint region affect radar coverage? AFAIK its just a visible light covering, and maybe IR will take a hit(laser gone?)
    As for Radar, blue tint, white tint etc., as long as its not those metal coated athermic thingies, its okay.
    I am saying this because I studied radar in college, and the only thing which will stop or reflect radar is metal, or thick rock and stuff. A thin polythene strip is going to be invisible.