Thread: X50 + V1

Default X50 + V1

Quick question before I go to work. Has anyone done a test to determine if there is any negative effect by running an X50 and a V1 simultaneously? I know cheap detectors leak and interfere, but I'm wondering if the two top brands will mess with each other. Seems like the perfect solution (for those that can afford it) to the V1 having superior laser, and the X50 have slightly better radar detection. So?

Manufacturer

I have found that the X50 vs V1 or the RX65 vs V1 matchups are good.

The V1 with its advanced shielding (metal case, etc.) can easily get along with either of the other top two detectors with no apparent loss in performance [to either] nor interference.

Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Longsnowsm

Veil Guy: That is very good to know. I have always heard never to run RD's together. If folks are running the two at the same time that would be very interesting to see and try. Thanks for the heads up.

Drive safe, have fun,
    Longsnowsm

Newcomer

If you look back through the archives, there are a lot of posts about this. On V1's website it says not to do this because they will interfere with each other.

Chris

Ah, see Veilguy says yes, Chris says no. Veilguy references experience (I assume), Chris references Valentine. I wish someone with a gun could do a test like this (I'm sure those with the equipment probably have both detectors or know people that have them). It seems like you could easily get a definitive answer just by three simple tests. Straight line detection distance w/V1, w/X50, w/V1+X50. If the X50's distance is lowered to the point where the V1 outperforms it, you know not to run both at the same time.

Yes, V1 says not to run it with other detectors, but is that because other detectors only with the V1 and not vice versa? This is what I am thinking. I'm ok to not have arrow's for 100 less yards if I get Ka detection (via X50) for 100 more yards. That way, I drive a little longer, the V1 lights up and I can then see the direction anyways. I could just mount the X50 low on the dash since I don't need to bother with it's laser detection, and then I don't have two detectors cluttering up my windshield.

Another somewhat related question. Does anyone think it would be possible to purchase multiple laser detection units of the V1 (find their distributer somehow), place them in your grill, rear bumper, etc. and wire them to the V1's software so that you have essentially 100% laser coverage? I don't know why you can't just buy add-on laser units. Would this not end the problem with the X50's laser detection if you just had more units? Hell, if the laser part cost $50, you could buy 2 and be paying the same amount as a V1. Just a thought.

Good Citizen

I did this for about two weeks. I ended up returning the V1 becuase the falsing was driving me nuts. I was told by many people that the falsing was due to having both detectors in the same car----I disagree with that. I think it is common knowledge that the v1 is false happy.

However, the X50 is VERY false pop happy....the x50 just loves to pop all day long....that is annoying.

Longsnowsm

I know the V1 is very chatty to begin with, and sounds like the x50 with pop is as well... Anyone have experience with the latest versions of both working together? Any idea or feedback on this? Did the 7/16 test by chance test for this? Inquiring minds wanna know!

Longsnowsm

Speed Demon

If you keep both rd's far enuff apart. You shouldnt run into interference. Wish I had both. I would do some testing. I had a uniden gpsrd and a passport 8500 running at the same time. No problem!

Speed Demon

Default Re: X50 + V1

Quote Originally Posted by erobinson
    Quick question before I go to work. Has anyone done a test to determine if there is any negative effect by running an X50 and a V1 simultaneously? I know cheap detectors leak and interfere, but I'm wondering if the two top brands will mess with each other. Seems like the perfect solution (for those that can afford it) to the V1 having superior laser, and the X50 have slightly better radar detection. So?

Side by side testing is never a good idea in my opinion as you will never get the same results everytime you do this. Even Mike Valentine has said that side by side tests do not work and this is the one thing [THE ONLY THING] that I agree with Mike about.