Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Using V1 in the heart of DC, and Virginia

Recently graduated, found a job and moved to Northern VA. I have moved from Richmond, VA and drove for 2 weeks before renting a place.

During those 2 weeks I got blasted with KA band multiple times. Apparently VA state patrol likes to sit in the median and instant-on traffic on I-95. Sometimes simply, quietly sitting there as a speed deterrent. Valentine one was very helpful indeed.

Moving forward, now I stay at Alexandria, VA and am 5 minutes away from Washington, DC. Still use V1.

V1 is very annoying of course. You have instant on blasting traffic lights that check for traffic all over the place. Thus you never know what is the real threat. Local Alexandria and DC cops sometimes run constant on which V1 detects with a fairly respectable distance.

Anyhow, for DC V1 is definitely not a good choice. 9500! Buy it, use it in the major cities.
    --------------------

Forget all radar detectors. Place is so congested that you can't really enjoy your sports car driving at speed.

^thought I'd share what it is like in the heart of Nazi state.

Speed Demon

Setting the automute on the V1 to unmute at 4 led's did the trick for me. In small L I can still see the alert and hear it at a much muted volume and it reduced many annoyances. I also purchased an STi and have to say it's an extremely quiet detector.

Professional

Viirgina uses the Spectre RDD. Your V1 can be detected by this device. I would get an Sti if I were you.

Professional

Yeah Beltronics STI is my vote for you too.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinZX-10R
    Viirgina uses the Spectre RDD. Your V1 can be detected by this device. I would get an Sti if I were you.
    Been using V1 for years in Virginia. Countless times to ski resorts, blasting through mountain roads. Unbelievable speeds in the long stretches of I-64 west, daily use in Richmond, VA. Have not been pulled over yet for RD usage. Very safe driver, great respect for LEOs.

Besides if you calculate the probability of getting pulled over for RD usage, it is quiet low. And I am willing to pay $100 fine once in a while, instead of having speeding on my record.

Speed Demon

[quote="dreamer"]
    "blasting through mountain roads. Unbelievable speeds in the long stretches of I-64 west"

"Very safe driver, great respect for LEOs"

Yeah, that sounds like a safe driver to me :x

Newcomer

I never bother to turn my RD on when in DC. It's pretty rare that traffic even allows speeding there and I've never seen cops hiding anywhere. They're always driving around, talking on their cell phones. The cops I've seen pull people over the most are Uniformed Secret Service and Park Police and they just nab people making illegal turns.

Lead Foot

[quote="Virion"]
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer
    "blasting through mountain roads. Unbelievable speeds in the long stretches of I-64 west"

I go over 100 on many roads that can take it, and I consider myself a safe driver, why? because I drive defensively Did I mention that to this day I have no accidents on my record? Speed has little to do with driver safety, hence why so many females on their cell phones and their little fart canned hondas (for which speed can't be a factor anyways) *peers at the many rear-ending accidents I see on a daily basis around the college*

Speed Demon

[quote="Ven0mizer"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Virion

I go over 100 on many roads that can take it, and I consider myself a safe driver, why? because I drive defensively Did I mention that to this day I have no accidents on my record? Speed has little to do with driver safety, hence why so many females on their cell phones and their little fart canned hondas (for which speed can't be a factor anyways) *peers at the many rear-ending accidents I see on a daily basis around the college*
    What if you have a blowout going 100mph?

What if an animal jumps out at 100mph?

100mph is not safe anywhere. Just because you haven't had an accident or a ticket doesn't mean you are a safe driver. No defensive driver drives 100mph.

Professional

[quote="Virion"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0mizer
    Quote Originally Posted by Virion

What if you have a blowout going 100mph?

What if an animal jumps out at 100mph?

100mph is not safe anywhere. Just because you haven't had an accident or a ticket doesn't mean you are a safe driver. No defensive driver drives 100mph.
    Yeah, only the police have to power to defy physics at that speed. Their cars are immune to blowouts and animals know to stay out of the way when they see the badge.

On the opposite end of the arguement is the autobahn in Germany, where drivers have to pass an extensive driving course to get a liscense and can travel at unlimted speeds on certain parts of the highway.