Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Bel 955 or Whistler Pro 78

I am a college student and I make trips back and forth from Nacogdoches to Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio. I currently have a Whistler RD that I have had for about 4 years now and the speaker is starting to go out, other than that it has saved me a many of times. I have been reading on here for the last couple of days about the Pro 78 and Bel 955. Both are in my price range (under $200) and can pick either up for less than $160 shipped. I do not usually go more than about 5-8 mph over the posted speed limit.

My question is which of the 2 detectors mentioned above would be a better detector for the money and my situation. I need as much detection as possible for the price.

Power User

ha, this question gets asked like every other day

If you search on the forums, you can find some excellent long, drawn-out debates about both detectors. In the end it depends on what bands are in-use in your area, and whether or not you have good Bel-luck...

IMO both are excellent detectors in performance, but the Whistler lands you undeniably better customer service and technical support.

Radar Fanatic

955. It's the same platform as the RX65, the 995 and 965, just with fewer features. And, it outperforms the Pro78.

J/

Speed Demon

X2

Speed Demon

As of right now, according to the GOL tests, I'd go with the 955. But supposedly the updated Pro78/XTR-690 is a Ka monster....so????

I can testify so far I'm pretty happy with my 955....but if it were to go on the fritz, I'd be screaming for Whistler.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by jerry540i
    955. It's the same platform as the RX65, the 995 and 965, just with fewer features. And, it outperforms the Pro78.

J/
    Yea, when Bel detectors are working maybe. :x

swayoveride,

If you have a problem after a year you will find out how bad Bel's CS is, and their cost to fix it with shipping will be more than 70% of what a new 955 one would cost you to buy. I am posting this based on my own personal experience, not what someone told me. If I was you, (and I just did this myself) buy the Whistler Pro78, as it comes with a 3 year warranty, not the 1 year warrenty you get with a Bel. I have talked to Whistler's CS about the Pro-78 on more than a few occasions, and in my humble opinion they are the best in the business, and they have been kind on the phone to me every time.

Radar Fanatic

Bel 955 is a better all-round detector than the Pro 78.
    Whistler has the best customer service in the business.

So, your purchase decision can be made based on which of these items is a higher priority for you.

J/

Scratonicity Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by jerry540i

J/
    x2.

Speed Demon

now im really confused - is he buying a radar detector or is he buying customer service. IMHO - if he is anything like the rest of us he'll be buying another unit within the 3 year period so the warranty really isnt that important.
    if both units were equal on everything then the warranty might sway me but the figures dont show them to be equal. not even close.

Stealthcb

The GOL tests that showed the 955 to have MARGINALLY better range were done on Rev A software for the Pro-78. With the current software, I'd bet the Pro-78 performs as well as the 955 on K and Ka. X will always be lower in it, so if you want X-band, go with the BEL. When Rev C comes out, the Pro-78 could be better on K and Ka.

IMHO, get the Whistler. It OWNS stalker 34.7, which you'll see a LOT of in Texas. And you won't have to worry about a Self-Cal message right after your ONE YEAR Bel warranty runs out.

I've had 3.9 miles on Ka and 3+ miles on K with my Pro-78. If something goes wrong, I mail it DIRECTLY to Michael_B, a Whistler engineer, and he fixes it. That said, nothing's gone wrong with mine.

Go Whistler.