Good Citizen

Default Mercedes shielded glass - mounting

My car has the radation-blocking windshield common on import luxury cars. According to Mercedes, they provide two spots for RD mounting, a 5" x 6" rectangle at the bottom and to the right of center where I have mine mounted now. I'd like to move it to the top for concealment, where they provide another non-shielded rectangle behind and to the left of the rear view mirror, below the tint strip.

From reading on some Mercedes message boards, a few guys have theirs mounted above the mirror and claim that putting it behind the conductor material on the windshield does not block signal strength (this conductor material is a small rectangle at the very top of the windshield behind the rear view mirror mount and presumably has to do with the rain sense wipers). Anyways I found this very hard to believe so I sat in a K-band rich parking lot today and moved the detector around and sure enough, the best signal strength is where I have it now as well as up top to the left of the mirror mount, INCLUDING behind the conductor material!!!!!

So, my question is, do you think it's really safe to mount it there for the best concealment, or should I play it safe and stick with below the conductor material? It won't be at concealed as all the way up but will still be good and definitely better than where it is now down at the bottom.

Good Citizen

Default Re: Mercedes shielded glass - mounting

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame
    My car has the radation-blocking windshield
    You are probaly talking UV shield...or also know as "tinted" glass...

I am trying to find the best locations for my RD as well...seems to me that if I mount it very high I loose some receptions in my Alfa Romeo...mounting it next to the rear view mirror gives better receptions...but tomorrow if time permits I will do the same K-band test with automatic door openers

Good Citizen

I'll probably put it next to the rear view mirror, below the tint strip/electrical conductor. My parking lot test showed that it worked just as well behind the strip but I'm not confident with that and from outside the concealment factor is minimal between the two locations.

Of course first I have to get a nice laser jammer in there, then move it up top

Good Citizen

Default tint

I also mounted my RD next to rear mirror..Behind tint line...Felt I was'nt getting good reception :roll: Well I moved to Visor and I swear it is responding 8) 8) My garage door is setting it off every-time 8) Before NO-WAY.... It is still being block by tint line maybe 30%..