Radar Fanatic

Default Cop: "What is that radar for?"

I got caught for not having front plates

Cops told me detectors were legal in the state but asked why i have one

Told him in Texas, detectors let me know of school buses and other safety warnings

The times I got stopped (doesnt mean a ticket) for speeding I quickly took the radar away!

Guys have any similar experiences?

Professional

I've not had the same experience, but if I did, I think I would make sure what I said was truthful.

"Officer, when my detector goes off, I immediately check my speed and verify that I'm not exceeding the speed limit. Sometimes it means there's a reason to slow down below the limit, and the advance notice makes me a safer driver."

Try to say "safety, safer, slow down, speed limit, and more attentive" because it's hard to agrue that those are not positive things.

Ed

Speed Demon

Default Re: Cop: "What is that radar for?"

Quote Originally Posted by f_399

Told him in Texas, detectors let me know of school buses and other safety warnings

The times I got stopped (doesnt mean a ticket) for speeding I quickly took the radar away!

Where did you get pulled over? Must have been out of state since you mention "in Tx...."

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Cop: "What is that radar for?"

Quote Originally Posted by CLTX11
    Quote Originally Posted by f_399

Where did you get pulled over? Must have been out of state since you mention "in Tx...."
    it was in texas, i was driving from fort worth to houston, i think it was highway 6. it was a state trooper

Speed Demon

Stupid HWY 6! If you are looking for at least one encounter, that is the HWY to be on. Did he pull you over for just the LP?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by CLTX11
    Stupid HWY 6! If you are looking for at least one encounter, that is the HWY to be on. Did he pull you over for just the LP?
    i had my X50 back then....

i was going about 10 over then i hear a beep Ka

i slow down to everyones speed and there he was driving the speed limit

i overtook the guy in between me and the cop and stayed behind the cop

i heard Ka again and i was doing the limit so no worry

he slows down, lets me overtake him then BAM stops me

warning for no Plates (put it back on with laser shield)

didnt take the radar off because i knew i was not speeding...

Lead Foot

I try to never pass a cop for any reason even if they are going significantly below the speed limit. I do this to avoid pissing a cop off because some want you to acknowledge their authority and drive below the limit for a while. I also do this so the cop does not get a good look at my vehicle. I am a minority and have an extra antenna for the scanner mounted as well as an almost completely "blacked out" front end. The car I drive already is a target and some officers would love to find any excuse to pull me over for closer inspection and possibly give me a ticket.

Speed Demon

I tell them it tells me when to slow down.

Good Citizen

I've passed cops before as long as I'm not going over the speed limit but I also gauge how I act around cops depending on where I am. For example Phoenix cops are cool and don't bother anyone, in fact I remember my plates being expired for months one time and plenty of Phoenix cops were behind me and saw it and didn't bother me. But Scottsdale cops are a joke and would be exactly the type to expect you to 'acknowledge their authority.' I generally avoid them completely, let alone pass them ... lol

Overall I've found that cops are like dogs, if you just act normal around them and don't get weird they leave you alone.

Experienced

Isn't it faster just to take 45 down. The times that i've been going to dallas from houston and back i rarely ever saw a cop on that hwy. I still dont like that 5mph decrease when its night. 70 day 65 night, what kind of sense does that make?