Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Is POP then end of radar detectors???

I was driving today (not speeding), and my 8500 x50 alerted me to a full POP instantly. Looking around, there was a cop two cars behind us.

My wife asked me why did we bother installing a radar and lasar detection system if there is POP-- that seemingly can bust us in only a second.

I am aware that cops officially can not use POP for speed detection, but as we have all read on this forum, cops have way around this.

Looking forward to some answers and opinions from one and all on this...

Perry

Old Timer

Well a lot of places do not have this POP radar in effect. Also, you can detect POP before you are hit, so you have a chance to slow down. I don't care what cops say about radar detectors being "worthless" I have paid my x50 off at least 4 times over, one of which I would have probibally lost my license.

Good Citizen

Can you explain how you have time to slwo down once you have been hit by POP??? I was under the impression that once you detected POP, you were "popped".

Good Citizen

this link is rather interesting about pop

http://www.007radardetectors.com/pop_radar.htm

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Sethy
    Well a lot of places do not have this POP radar in effect. Also, you can detect POP before you are hit, so you have a chance to slow down. I don't care what cops say about radar detectors being "worthless" I have paid my x50 off at least 4 times over, one of which I would have probibally lost my license.
    How many cops say this? I know a few cops and a few detectives who all have V1's, and the ones I know who don't have radar detectors still recognize their usefullness.
    Richard

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by pemarsh
    Can you explain how you have time to slwo down once you have been hit by POP??? I was under the impression that once you detected POP, you were "popped".
    Well, for one, you can detect someone else getting popped, and for two, lets say the cop is a decent person, then he'd do 1 to pop you, you detect that and slam on your brakes, then the cop goes to get you with non-pop to get a legally viable reading and you've already slowed down by then.
    Richard

Advanced Member

Default Re: Is POP then end of radar detectors???

I was driving today (not speeding), and my 8500 x50 alerted me to a full POP instantly. Looking around, there was a cop two cars behind us.

My wife asked me why did we bother installing a radar and lasar detection system if there is POP-- that seemingly can bust us in only a second.
    If you get singled out with instant-on, that's almost the same thing. The officer gets a speed reading in a second, and you don't have time to slow down. Instant-on has been around for a long time. Even before that, police just flipped off their radar units and then turned them on when a speeder came by.

I am aware that cops officially can not use POP for speed detection, but as we have all read on this forum, cops have way around this.

Looking forward to some answers and opinions from one and all on this...

Perry
    Even without POP, cops could do the same things. We have to hope and assume that most in law enforcement are generally honest.

POP or no POP, a dishonest officer could pull you over and say you were speeding, and give you a ticket, with absolutely no evidence whatsoever. He could then testify in court, and would very likely be believed. But hopefully things like this are very rare.

With POP, it could be enough of a temtation to corrupt an othwise honest officer, or officers might not understand how to use the units properly. But hopefully things like this are just as rare.

In some situations, POP might be a good thing. Police will have a false sense of security thinking detectors can't pick it up, when many can now. They'll be broadcasting their presence by using POP, and drivers can slow down before officers have a chance to get a court-accepted speed reading.

Jim

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Website
    Defeats the NEW POP Radar
    Defeats the NEW Spectre III
    All-band, long range detection
    SmartCord MuteDisplay
    Detects Radar up to 11+ miles away!
    Optional Red or Blue screen
    Compact Size 1.25" H x 2.85" W x 5.32" L
    So good, you dont even need a jammer!
    Undetectable by VG-2 radar detecting devices
    SmartShield® VG-2 Immunity
    360-degree radar & laser coverage, no blind spots
    Identifies constant-on & instant-on radar signals
    Auto Calibration Circuitry
    Mute and AutoMute
    AutoSensitivity, Highway, and City
    Automatic audio control
    Dark Mode
    Display Brightness
    City Mode Sensitivity
    Retains previously set operation modes after power off
    Signal Strength Meter
    Automatic power-off
    30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    One (1) Year Warranty
    I didnt know the X50 had an automatic power off... how do I activate this?

Now there are so many things wrong with this on that website it is rediculous. A lot of that sounds like marketing like the 360 protection, the "Automatic Audio Control" when they already listed the AutoMute. Whats this about beating the spectre III ?

Speed Demon

Where did they get that it isn't detectable by Spectre 3?
    Richard

Yoda of Radar

I'm guessing from that SML test where they had a Spectre III, unfortunately the Spectre was broken and couldn't detect anything... ???