Default In market for a new detector, any help would be appreciated!

Hi,

new to this forum!
    well, i just got speeding ticket about a month ago and i am thinking about getting a radar detector.
    i used to own one, but some dude broke my window and stole it...
    so, i decide not to buy one after that... but it seems like i've been too dependent on radar detector...

anyway, i want to buy one but i am thinking about getting something cheap and i am seeking some professional and in depth knowledge of this forum...
    thank you in advance

ps. how about Whistler 1773 Laser & Radar Detector???

Professional

Default here we go again.

i got an early warning radar detector from ABC Wearhouse for 19.95. yep. it is cheap. but not worth a darn. (got it for kicks).

i also have a v-1. yep..it was not cheap. but kicks azz is the real world.

my daddy always told me...you get what you pay for.

sure, there ARE inbetween models and prices...but if you want to best, give up something else for a while (cigs, drinking, t&a bars, etc) and get one of the best.

it will pay off in the long run.

thank you icantdrive55

i would love to buy V1 but i just bought crap loads of textbooks worth about $500...

so i am looking for something less than 150 bux...
    i had a cobra once (the one that got stolen) and i was pretty happy with that one...

thank you for your help

Professional

Default detector

dont buy a cobra. period.

back in the 80's and early 90's, they were good with just x and k band coverage. in fact, i had a cobra 3100 and loved it!!!! a solid unit!

look at the Whistlers and BEL's in your price range of 150 bills. you cant go wrong.

remember, though, having a radar detector does not give you a license to speed. i personally dont go more than 10 over unless i have a rabbit that might be going 12-15 over....but that is rare.

Default Re: detector

Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive55
    dont buy a cobra. period.

back in the 80's and early 90's, they were good with just x and k band coverage. in fact, i had a cobra 3100 and loved it!!!! a solid unit!

look at the Whistlers and BEL's in your price range of 150 bills. you cant go wrong.

remember, though, having a radar detector does not give you a license to speed. i personally dont go more than 10 over unless i have a rabbit that might be going 12-15 over....but that is rare.
    i got a speeding ticket cuz i was over 8 miles... i argued that i was going 45 but this cop told me i was going 48 at first and later told me i was going 51...
    hmm... i told him the car next to me was speeding and he was going over 50... and he went back to his car and came back with speeding ticket...
    i live in a city where police ALWAYS appears on the court date!!! and ticket here is very very expensive...

thanks for your help tho, NO COBRA, get whistler or BELs
    thank you again~

Power User

The Bel 940 will be a good solid performer at that price $150 below.

Speed Demon

Yeah I would recommend a 940 as well, I run the 955 and its not too far oof from performance and the 955 absolutley astounds me for the money.

Speed Demon

Default Re: here we go again.

Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive55
    i got an early warning radar detector from ABC Wearhouse for 19.95. yep. it is cheap. but not worth a darn. (got it for kicks).

i also have a v-1. yep..it was not cheap. but kicks azz is the real world.

my daddy always told me...you get what you pay for.

sure, there ARE inbetween models and prices...but if you want to best, give up something else for a while (cigs, drinking, t&a bars, etc) and get one of the best.

it will pay off in the long run.
    Doubly true with RDs, you get what you pay for, and pay for what you don't get if you get cheap.

One ticket can easily be the difference in price between the cheapest models and one of the best. Buy quality, and only cry once!

Hi jkbear11,

You've received several good answers from other forum members. My personal recommendations for the least expensive budget radar detector which actually has consistent and decent performance boils down to just two models at present. Here I present them both, along with each model's positive and negative attributes:

Bel's Vector 940

Positive attributes:

-- Its electronics platform has very good sensitivity on all radar bands, and the electronics platform is the same as used in all of Bel's more expensive Vector models.

-- Extremely easy to use.

Negative attributes:

-- Just about every additional user programmable feature is factory disabled compared to Bel's more expensive Vector models which have progressively more user adjustable features enabled coupled with price.

-- The PUI brand speakers within the Bel units are prone to blowing if the radar detector is exposed to extreme heat. The solution? Just don't leave a Bel radar detector cooking in direct sunlight within a parked car. Instead, remove it from the windshield and either put it in your glove box or under your car seat to keep it much cooler when you park your car.

-- A mere one year standard warranty, which can be extended to three years for an additional fee.

Whistler Pro-78

Positive attributes:

-- Fair to fairly good sensitivity across all radar bands.

-- More user adjustable settings compared to the Bel Vector 940.

-- A larger and louder speaker which helps hearing its alerts above road noise or of you car stereo is turned up fairly loud.

-- Very easy to use.

-- A standard three year warranty.

Negative attributes:

-- Somewhat less sensitivity on Ka band compared to Bel's Vector series of radar detectors.

-- The Whistler's speakers can also blow due to excessive heat although they are less susceptible to this problem.

Basically, these two models currently offer the most bang for the buck in terms of a decently performing yet moderately priced radar detector. It really isn't worth considering other radar detector models which are less expensive and/or which don't offer the decent performance of these baseline models since the point is to have a decently performing radar detector which gives you much better chances of avoiding a speeding ticket.

Well, there you have it in a nutshell!

Best Regards,

--Michael