Default Why SWS Implementation

1. There ain't many transmitters - pretty much useless :roll:
    2. Most detector shoppers do not care
    3. Most come turned off from the factory

Why bother with the cost to implement a such system on the detectors? The SWS system has more voice alerts than all the bands combined. Why woundn't the manufactuer just shave the cost of implentation and pocket the profit?

Or throw in an extra windshield mount or power cord in the box for God's sake?

Advanced Member

It probably doesn't cost a lot, and it adds a sense of legitimacy to radar detectors. With SWS, they can say that detectors add to safety, etc. In fact, I believe there was a court in Virginia that once ruled against the detector ban, saying motorists should be allowed to use a detector if it had SWS (of course, this was overturned on appeal).

"Sense of legitimacy" I supposed that is needed when justifying to the wife. "Honey, I am going for that Charger SRT Hemi, it is a four door family car. I also need that radar detector for SWS to protect the family when travelling."

You are probably right, the implementation should be mostly, if not all, firmware based. But companies these days would jump on the chance to shave a buck or two per item, by sourcing cheaper components from low cost regions. It amazes me that RD companies would not abandon the SWS ship to do the same. Cobra probably uses the cheapest parts / contract manufactuer they can source from China, but still puts SWS on their detectors.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyZero
    "Sense of legitimacy" I supposed that is needed when justifying to the wife. "Honey, I am going for that Charger SRT Hemi, it is a four door family car. I also need that radar detector for SWS to protect the family when travelling."

You are probably right, the implementation should be mostly, if not all, firmware based. But companies these days would jump on the chance to shave a buck or two per item, by sourcing cheaper components from low cost regions. It amazes me that RD companies would not abandon the SWS ship to do the same. Cobra probably uses the cheapest parts / contract manufactuer they can source from China, but still puts SWS on their detectors.
    Cobra is the main one that needs SWS. Most people that go out and buy a detector have no clue what they are doing. They go to a store and ask a sales rep who also has no idea. SWS looks good on the box.

It would actually be pretty cool if it was widely implemented.

For example, Atlanta has these H.E.R.O. emergency response vehicles that sometimes emit SWS messages. Well maybe not sometimes couse I only got one SWS in my life but it was legit. Anyways it would be a good thing if vehicles like that were equipped with SWS

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by polakatl
    Cobra is the main one that needs SWS. Most people that go out and buy a detector have no clue what they are doing. They go to a store and ask a sales rep who also has no idea. SWS looks good on the box.

It would actually be pretty cool if it was widely implemented.

For example, Atlanta has these H.E.R.O. emergency response vehicles that sometimes emit SWS messages. Well maybe not sometimes couse I only got one SWS in my life but it was legit. Anyways it would be a good thing if vehicles like that were equipped with SWS
    I think Cobra was the one that came up with it. Besides, it lets Cobra add another band to their detectors... without it you'd have 5 band Cobras.

I think SWS has the potential to be a good and useful technology but as it isn't widely implemented it's no good.

Advanced Member

Cobra has their own system that they designed, "Safety Alert System", which is somewhat similar to SWS but simpler. Cobra generally doesn't implement SWS capability in their detectors, only their SAS system.

Founder of Stealthvation

It is another way for a manufacturer to say "we can not find a way to squeeze out more performance from our designs so we will squeeze out more useless features".
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Banned

Got to love those useless features! Its like brush guards on a Mercedes.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Cobra has their own system that they designed, "Safety Alert System", which is somewhat similar to SWS but simpler. Cobra generally doesn't implement SWS capability in their detectors, only their SAS system.
    Ah, that was it. I couldn't remember what the deal was but I knew they had something like it.

Radar Fanatic

I just love their 12 band ads......... That along with all this Safety mess
    fools a lot of consumers. You truly have to educated yourself in todays
    market.....