Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Performance difference

is there really that big of a preformance difference between the lower end detectors and the big three? i would rather not spend the money on something i dont need, 2.5 miles detection kinda sounds like overkill to me, what the point of knowing that far ahead? you have to sit at 65 for two minutes waiting to get to the source while your detector screams. it seems to me that as long as a detector can alert you before 3/4 - 1 mile your all set, so whats the point of more?.......i guess im just trying to justify to myself that a whistler will be fine so i dont have to spend the money on an x-50

Radar Fanatic

i have used 2-3 detectors under $200

and also 2 of the big 3

... all i could say is i dont even know how people could trust any other detector but the big 3!

there is such a big difference.... i dont think any detector is worth it but the big 3! (might get flamed for this)

you have a porsche... if you are a member of a forum or a club ask them what detector they use...

i think a porsche can only go with the big 3

Speed Demon

I agree. The false alarms will absolutely kill you on the lower cost detectors.

Advanced Member

If I was you I wouldn't read too much into the "mileage" tests. Under ideal conditions (line of sight etc) a detector could pick up radar 10 or even 20 miles away. But I do understand what you mean.

If you are only concerned with protection from constant-on radar, then almost any detector will provide a level of protection. The importance of having a sensitive detector comes in when you are trying to detect short, weak instant-on radar hitting traffic ahead of you, before it is your turn.

If you are on a budget, many people agree that the Whistler Pro-58 or Pro-73 will give you OK bang for the buck. That said, the difference in performance -could- potentially mean the difference between a ticket or not. So it all comes down to how much protection you think you need, and can afford.

Jim

Newcomer

but isnt good instant on radar deadly no matter what detector you have

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Grambo246
    but isnt good instant on radar deadly no matter what detector you have
    That all depends if you are the target or another car.

The old saying goes you get what you pay for, I run a Velentine1, Whistler Pro58 and sometimes a Bel980. The difference is range and falses. The Pro58 seems to false the most of all of them.

Why drive a Porche if you really only need a Toyota? I am sure you bought the Porche with quality in mind, do the same with your detector.

Speed Demon

I agree with Jimbonzz, but look at the under $200 Bel 895 in the SML tests. Impressive on radar for the price.

Professional

if you are on a budget... save up money here and there... a little bit at a time and get yourself a Valentine One.

if its good enough for the gumballers, its good enough for me.

400.00 now is a lot better than countless tickets and higher insurance premiums later..

Old Timer

Default Re: preformance diffrence

Quote Originally Posted by Grambo246
    is there really that big of a preformance diffrence between the lower end detctors and the big three? i would rather not spend the money on something i dont need, 2.5 miles detection kinda sounds like overkill to me, what the point of knowing that far ahead? you have to sit at 65 for two minutes waiting to get the the source while your detector screams. it seems to me that as long as a detector can alert you before 3/4 - 1 mile your all set, so whats the point of more?.......i guess im just trying to justify to myself that a whistler will be fine so i dont have to spend the money on an x-50
    Well, some protection is better then no protection. keep that in mind. but you get what you pay for

Longsnowsm

I would point out why the longer range is important... Instant on radar! If a LEO is sampling traffic ahead of you and there aren't many cars on the road in front of you then you might only get a chance at one or two blips of radar. If your detector cannot hear what is going on as far down the road as possible you may or probably will miss those one or two precious blips... That is the difference between getting a ticket. I see this alot on the interstates. You will be humming along and out of the blue get a blip, then nothing for a minute or more... Then another blip only slightly stronger, then nothing.... Then slam you get a full blown alarm and tag your it if you haven't slowed down. So the moral of this story is buy the best you can afford like the others have said. I have a V1 and highly recommend it... You won't just get the blip, but you will know where it is coming from.

It might seem like it is overkill, but I can honestly say it is anything but overkill. You won't regret buying the best in the case of a RD.

Drive safe, have fun,
    Longsnowsm